cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Save Unity Voice mail message

uni.lee
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to save a very important voice mail to file and send as an e-mail. Is there any way I can save my voice mail to any audio file? If I do where can I find the individual person's voice mail in Unity server?

9 Replies 9

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The voice mail isn't store in the Unity server - it's stored direclty in that user's mailbox in Exchange or Domino (Unity is a true Unified messaging server - the back end mail server is our native store, we don't "sync" messages between our own store and the mailstore).

You can log into the user's mailbox using a desktop client such as Outlook (assuming you have admin rights to the mailstore such that you can do that) and gain access to the voice mail like any other email - the voice message is just stored as a WAV attachment, nothing special about it. You can forward it as an email anywhere you want or save it off to the HD or whatever.

Not applicable

Just out of curiosity, once he has the message stored on the filesystem as a WAV, is there any way to send it to another VM subscriber and have Unity play it back over the phone?

I've tried attaching WAV's to emails but have never been able to get Unity to play them back. I've even tried constructing a MIME message that is identical to one of Unity's messages and sending it over SMTP. No luck. How does Unity decide which messages to play back and which to ignore?

Cheers,

Eric

You can do it using the web-based Unity Inbox or the Outlook-based VMO. The media player in both these applications has a "Paste from file" option you can use when composing a new voice mail.

Hi -

Voice messages have their own unique message class - ipm.note.voice.unity, whereas email messages are ipm.note. The voice message form is used when voice messages are created with the ViewMail for Outlook client or by using the TUI. If you are licensed for Text-to-speech, then you can play email messages (text in the body of the note) over the TUI. But it will not play the attached WAV message... only let you know there are attachments.

Sincerely,

Ginger

This is good information. Is there a similar construct that unity uses for Domino?

My primary goal is to be able to programmatically place a message into the store that Unity then plays back over the TUI.

I will try setting the message class property via WebDAV and will report my results.

In the meantime, any further information on how to accomplish my goal using SMTP/IMAP/WebDAV would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Not applicable

Sorry for the self-reply.

Here are my results, as promised.

I tried sending an email with a WAV attachment and then setting the outlookmessageclass property to IPM.Note.Voice.Unity using WebDAV. The message now shows up in Outlook as a voice mail. However, Unity remains blissfully oblivious to it.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get Unity to play my WAV back over the TUI?

Thanks,

Eric

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's more MAPI specific properties involved here then the message class (i.e. you need some media flags in there). Outlook associates messages with custom forms strictly by the message class (which is why it's showing up as a voice mail there in Outlook for you). For Unity to recognize it as a voice mail there's quite a few other things you'll have to do with the message.

I took a run at writing a little application that would take a standing email with WAV attachment and converting it into a voice mail Unity would pick up using nothing but straight CDO calls - but I couldn't get it flying - I didn't have too much time to fiddle with it.

There's a couple things in the pipe that are of interest here – the IP Fax Configuration Wizard that will be coming out around the time of the 4.0(4) release of Unity should include the ability to simply send an SMTP message to one of the mailboxes that it monitors with a special subject line and it’ll send that as a voice message to the subscriber you identify in the subject line. This will be handy for sites wanting to forward messages from a foreign system into Unity.

I’ll also be circle back around on the application that shows how to convert a standing email with WAV attachment into a voice message properly – I wont have time to do this till after 4.0(4) code freeze comes around in a few weeks though…

Not applicable

Thanks for the info.

Would you be willing to share your code in its current form? With some guidance from you, perhaps I could bring it to completion and return the result to you?

Cheers,

Eric

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately I don't really have cycles to go dig it out and figure out where I left it at them moment - once 4.0(4) goes "gold" (i.e. all the code is frozen and handed off to QA) I'll have time but I'm up to my ears in tools that need updating and testing still.

It's on my to-do list... I should be able to get to it in a few weeks.