Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Short-cut Dialing in CUCM

Greetings,

Is there a way to assign full 10 digit to each user but allow them to dial only the last 4 internally? I looked into the local route groups, however, it appears to applicable to routing calls to outside peers or destinations. The end-user currently has 4 digit dial between handsets and want to make the transition simple.

Running CUCM 12.1

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

-michael

4 Replies 4

Two different possibilities:

Configure 4-digit Enterprise Alternate Numbers on the DNs. If the 4-digit dialing patterns are unique across the cluster then configure a system-wide partition for the EAN. If the 4-digit dialing patterns are site-specific, configure a site-specific partition.

Translation patterns can be used to take 4-digit dialed numbers and turn them into 10-digits. The caveat to this is that the 4-digit extensions would have to be summarize-able, meaning a set of 4-digit extensions such as 4XXX would have to have the same NPA-NXX prefix. If so, then the translation pattern would be:

• Matched Pattern: 4XXX
  • Partition: One that is available to the phones dialing this pattern
  • Called Party Transform > Prefix (Outgoing Calls): 222333
  • (Or, alternately, a Transform Mask of 222333XXXX)

However, if some of the 4XXX would have one NPA-NXX prefix and others would have a different NPA-NXX then this is more difficult.

Let us know if this isn't clear or if you need additional information.

Maren

Hello Maren,

I appreciate the response and tried the EAN on a few test phones and positive results. I also tried the translation patter, however, that did not work. Is it just configuring the pattern as indicated below or is there something else that is also required?

-michael

If the EAN works, that is the way to go because it is easy and consistent.

As for translation patterns, double-check that you are prefixing/transforming the section "Called Party" which will modify the dialed number, and not the "Calling Party" which will modify the caller ID. That is a rookie mistake everyone makes at first.

If you did configure the translation pattern correctly, then the issue is probably related to partition/calling search space. I don't know how familiar you are with those and I don't want to assume. But if you don't have a solid grasp on PT/CSS I encourage you to read up on it. I teach Cisco Unified Communications for a living, and in my opinion having a solid understanding of how PT/CSS works is the single most important concept in understanding how CUCM works overall.

Maren

Thank you for your advice, I am going to stick with the EAN per your recommendation.

-michael