cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminal Service in Unity

elvinliang
Level 1
Level 1

Can I use terminal service to put patches for Unity OS ,Unity sr,Exchange and SQL, from the maintenance Guide, I notice Terminal server can't be used to install and upgrade Unity, I am just not sure if putting patches is part of upgrading the Unity, thanks

5 Replies 5

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

If you take a look here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a0080229acb.html#wp1068052

You can see that Cisco does not appear to object to patchig via terminal services.

I always perfer to log on locally whenever I can but have never had a problem applying patches through TS.

Also, If memory serves I beleive that Unity can take all the Micrsoft patches directly from M$ once they have been qulified from Cisco as opposed to CallManager that has to have speacial patches issues by Cisco.

Look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a0080229aca.html

and here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_device_support_table09186a0080531aab.html

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree with Travis. It's actually a rule of thumb with all Microsoft Products. Terminal Service is not supposed to be used for installation, upgrades or patches. Whether you are upgrading Unity, Exchange, SQL, the OS.... stick with the console or get an IPKVM or software solution to connect you directly to the server for preforming these upgrades.

Cheers

tc

I know it is important to do the patch ,upgrade locally, unfortunately it is amost impossible in my situation to do it locally, I know Cisco Policy about the TS limitation, I just want to be sure if anyone else from the forums ever do the patching by TS before,and would it be better if I go with VNC ?Thanks

The probably with Terminal Services for one thing is that if you get an error, it does not always pop on your session, it will pop up on the console. If you reboot, and an error loads at login, you will not see it also. And some of the time, the patch will not load for whatever reason. So with all these bugs and possiblity of failure, I opt for console only. I have in the past use VNC and Vector Networks PC DUO, and they both seem to work fine.

Remember your rules though.. make a backup BEFORE running the patches. Better rule, pull out a drive, insert a new drive and let it replicated. If anything goes wrong, you have still have a complete image on of the original. Mirrored drives, gotta love them.

hope this helps!

tc

Hi -

I agree with TC - gotta love those mirrored drives. Even if it's only a security hotfix, I always break the mirror set to ensure a quick recovery/fallback. An additional caveat for service packs is that not ALL are uninstallable - you need to check the release notes to be sure. And if you are going to use terminal services, be sure NOT to use CONSOLE ONLY mode - it will break Unity's TSP and will require a reboot to correct!!

Regards, Ginger