Views
Helpful
Replies

Total number of Meet-me or ad-hoc conferences

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In our setup we are using only Conference bridge software. We have set the value of max MeetMe conference unicast as 25.

I understand that Conference bridge software supports 128 streams at a time.

Does it mean that I can have only 5 (=128/25) meet-me conferences at a time?

Or even though the max MeetMe conference unicast value is set as 25, can I have 42 3-party meet-me conferences assuming there are no ad-hoc conferences?

Awaiting your valuable inputs.

Regards,

Libin Benedict

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CFB allocation is static, even if you're not going to have 25 users, it has to guarantee resources for 25 users.

So, yes, you'll only have 5 meet-me conferences at any point in time, and since the same resources are used for ad-hoc, you might end up having no ad-hoc conferences if there are no more resources, or if the remaining streams, are less than the ad-hoc participants number that need to be allocated.

This is just basic math, how many meet-me participants, how many ad-hoc, and subtract from 128 to find out how many resources you have left, and how many conferences of each type you could have, at any point in time.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CFB allocation is static, even if you're not going to have 25 users, it has to guarantee resources for 25 users.

So, yes, you'll only have 5 meet-me conferences at any point in time, and since the same resources are used for ad-hoc, you might end up having no ad-hoc conferences if there are no more resources, or if the remaining streams, are less than the ad-hoc participants number that need to be allocated.

This is just basic math, how many meet-me participants, how many ad-hoc, and subtract from 128 to find out how many resources you have left, and how many conferences of each type you could have, at any point in time.

HTH

java

Hi Java,

Thanks for the clear explanation.

This means CFB allocation for adhoc is also static, correct?

So if I want to have more conferences, I should allocate resources on the gateway thru Cisco IOS enhanced conf bridge or the other options available along with it?

Edit: I have a cluster with 1 pub and 1 sub where Pub also has Call Manager service active. 128 streams means can I have 128 streams each on pub and sub?

Thanks,

Libin Benedict

Yes, resources for conferences are allocated in a static fashion, as I mentioned, it HAS to guarantee resources for the max number of users you configured this for.

Yes, assuming you're running the IPVMS on both, and you have changed the setting to have the 128 streams, which are NOT the default value, and you should be careful to change on the server, unless it's only dedicated to media resources. You'd need to try this, depending on your environment and call load.

This parameter specifies the maximum number of conference participants that the conference bridge will support. Increasing this value above the recommended default may cause performance degradation on a Cisco Unified Communications Manager that is running on the same server. If you need to increase this value above the default, you should consider installing the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application on a separate server.
  This is a required field.
  Default: 48
  Minimum:  0
  Maximum:  256
HTH

java

Thanks a lot. I understand it now.

I was actually thinking that 128 is a standard value.

I just noted that the value is 48 in our setup on both the pub and sub which means I can have only 2 (1 on pub and 1 on sub) meet-me conferences as resources are not shared between servers.

Thanks again,

Libin Benedict