I have a UCCX script that was created when I was running version 5 of CCX but now I’ve upgraded to version 8.5 and the script no longer works correctly. I was able to get all of my other scripts to work but not this one.
Its main function is for holidays when we close the office. I would call it and the first thing it says “Normal business routing is in effect”, I enter my PIN, then select option 2 and that’s supposed to change the call routing so that incoming calls go directly to the answering service.
It works as far as I can call it and enter my PIN, then I enter option 2 but nothing happens, the call just terminates. I tried to do a Reactive Debug and it just goes directly to Terminate after I push option 2.
I’ve included the original script from v5.0 and also the updated script after I changed the DOC locations.
You cannot write to the document repository unless you have authenticated a user within the script. Whether you do this interactively or hard-code the extension and matching CUCM PIN within the script doesn't matter; the MIVR engine won't write unless a User variable has authenticated.