cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0 Impact on DC/GC

rmwall
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have stats for Unity 4.0's impact on the Domain Controller and Global Catalog, particularly for voice messaging, but also for unified messaging (if you have it).

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

As far as impact goes all we provide data on it the space in the directory required:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/adsizing.htm

The impact would be the same of VM and UM. There is no technical difference.

We don't provide data on the addition performance load we put on the DC/GC or on Exchange for that matter. That type of data would be really hard to provide because it depends so much on the environment though I guess it would be possible to provide some examples…

Anyway for now that URL is what we have.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks, Keith. I have read that article on sizing before. I was looking for performance loads. Would it be at all possible to get some examples? Also, if Unity is doing voice messaging but off-box on a separate Exchange server, is it necessary to dedicate a directory server to Unity? How would Cisco suggest dividing up directory server resources to handle Unity most efficiently in this scenario?

Thanks for your help!

Rich

There really hasn't been extensive testing on before and after AD/Exchange load that I am aware of. It's one of those things were we know we add load but it's never been significant enough that we've have had to investigate it. Perhaps other customers can chime in with their experiences? :)

We don't recommend adding extra DC/GCs for Unity because it really isn't needed. Unity doesn’t access the DC/GC real time so performance of the DC/GC isn’t an issue. As long as you have a DC/GC on the same LAN as the Unity server things will be fine.

Thanks,

Keith