cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 to Connection 8.5 migration (unified)

transnetcorp
Level 1
Level 1

Need migration assistance with a migration from Unity 7.0 (Exchange unified) to Unity Connection 8.5 (VMWare, Exchange Unified).

The Unity Connection 8.5 server is operational and integrated in tandem with Unity to a CUCM cluster. No data has been migrated yet, and the Unified/Exchange integration in Connection is not yet built. We are planning a hot-cut with COBRAS. CUCM is integrated with the client's AD/LDAP.

Read through most every techdoc on the matter, but I'm not seeing info for unified messaging migrations to Connection. The task sequence in the docs is missing the unified piece and is littered with circular cross-references to other docs.

Anyone have a best-practice approach to this ... a high level sequence of tasks?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the configuration tasks for Single Inbox (the feature name in CUC to avoid confusion with Unity UM) is here:

Unified Messaging Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.5 and Later

Once the configuration is complete and you've tested it with a mailbox it should be a simple matter of adding the Single Inbox configuration to a user template. When you perform the COBRAS hot move you just choose a user template that has a Single Inbox configuration on it. One thing that the guide doesn't point out clearly: there is a timeout value of four seconds for WebDAV operations by default. You may need to increase this depending on the Exchange performance/responsiveness. It's under System Settings > Advanced > Unified Messaging Settings > TTS and Calendars: Time to Wait for a Response (seconds).

Does that make sense? If not, are you looking for clarification on the Single Inbox configuration; or, the user template/COBRAS import piece? I need a more specific question to respond to.

Thanks Jon, appreciate the reply. So we can build the single inbox config, test it all out, then do the COBRAS migration? It's this last sticking point I'm unsure about. COBRAS then single inbox, or single inbox first so we can test.

Oh, and there's no WebDAV for us as it's Exchange 2010 only.

Thanks and regards,

Brian

I would definitally suggest Single Inbox first. Just create a new user/mailbox in AD/Exchange and test against that. When everything works well then hot move a few users (no need to do everyone at once; the site/networking should keep everyone available.)

Yep. Exchange 2010 would use the EWS interface instead (and IMAP if you're doing email TTS access). The timer I mentioned should apply to that as well. My first post should have said WebDAV/EWS/IMAP.

Hey guys, I came across this post and I am doing pretty much the same thing. I have a very specific question that I'm hoping one of you will be kind enough to answer for me.

The voicemail messages that user's still have in their exchange inboxes... will connection recognize those as voice mail messages? In other words, when I import the voicemail messages into connection with cobras, will single inbox recognize that those messages are already in exchange and know not to dump them into a user's email inbox a second time?

Thank you so much!

FYI, I got an answer in this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3448715#3448715

Thanks!