cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity and Active Directory Sync problem

msubramanian
Level 1
Level 1

I installed UM 4.0(3) with Exchange 2003. I am seeing the following error in the event log.

ID: 1032

Source: CiscoUnity_DSGC

Message: Within the past 60 minutes, the AvDSGlobalCatalog service failed each attempt to complete a full directory synchronization between the SQL database on the Cisco Unity server and the directory.%n%nPossible causes to this problem include: 1) A persistent network problem. 2) A directory server that is unavailable. 3) An offending Cisco Unity object in the directory 4) A DNS issue.%n%nVerify the network connectivity between Cisco Unity and the directory server. If network connectivity is not the problem, then enable all the micro traces for the AvDSGlobalCatalog service in the Unity Diagnostic Tool. Wait at least %2 minutes for the service to attempt another directory synchronization, then save the diagnostic log file. Report the problem to Cisco TAC and include the diagnostic log.

GC server at customer site went down and customer replaced with new one with same name and Ip address.I am getting the resync error messages constantly.

Everything else works fine, I can import the user from the active directory, I can access the admin page etc..But this error keeps poping up..

Is there workaround for this.

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

try:

telnet gc.domain.com 3268

to confirm that you can actually connect to the GC. Use the fqdn of the gc server.

Do you have SR 1 installed?

Do you know how to enable AvDsGc traces? Open Unity Diagnostics, Click on Configure Micro Traces, Find AvDsGlobalCatalog, and turn on everything except 00, 01, and 02.

on the next error, look through the commserver\logs folder to find diag_avdsglobalcatalog* files. Locate the file for the time that you get the next error in app logs.

You should see some failures. Post them for us to chk.

H. M.

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello -

Has the Unity server been up and operational since the time the GC server went down and was replaced, for example not rebooted? If that is the case and there are no obvious connectivity issues, i.e. you can ping the GC server from your Unity server, I would recommend following the instructions for (1) stopping/restarting the AvDSGlobalCatalog service as well as (2) resyncing the GC monitor. Here is the link that contains the instructions used for changing the domain controller or global catalog server. Your application event log will contain information related to the success or failure of the resynchronization. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080205a80.html#wp1041492

Regards,

Ginger

Yes, I am able to ping the server with FQDN.

SR1 is not been applied, I will be applying it soon.

Although these error message pops, i dont have any problem with the AD integration, that is surprising me.

I will post the error messages from diagonistic micro traces. I see some failures in accessing the catalog server.

I tried resync thru DOHprop test, but no help.

Thanks

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason I ask about SR 1 is that some issues with parsing AD info is fixed.

Based on the event id, there can be four issues:

1) Network problem which you are not experiencing

2) by telnet'g to the DC on port 389 and 3268, you are proving that you can connect to LDAP and GC.

3) SR1 fixes some "offending Cisco Unity object in the directory"

4) DNS issue - unlikely if Unity was working before and there have been no change in your AD-Integrated DNS.

H. M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: