Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection / CUCM Compatibility 11.x to 12.x

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I'm planning an 11.5 to 12.5 upgrade, just researching the cluster and noting what will need to be done.  For some reason I can't seem to find a compatibility information for CUCM vs Unity Connection, or not information that makes complete sense. 

The CUCM matrix gives minimum CUC version of 12.5(1), suggesting we need to do CUC first.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/Compatibility/CSR-Compatibility-Matrix-InteractiveHTML.html

CUC compatibility information only goes up to 12.0(1) for both CUCM and CUC, leaving it unclear whether an upgraded CUC would be compatible with CUCM 11.5

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/compatibility/matrix/b_cucclientmtx.html#id_24435

Any comments welcome.  I'm sure in that past that CUC used to be much less picky, in fact the compatibility information just prior to this more or less says any CUC 10.5 or later works with CUCM 10.x or later.

Edit - I should say that this will be staged, CUCM upgrade in one change window, CUC in another.  So we really need either CUC 11.5 to work with CUCM 12.5, or vice versa depending on the order.

Thanks, Tony S

6 Replies 6

Based on my experience I would recommend you to upgrade CUC first. We did an upgrade from 11.5 to 12.5 with CM first and later CUC. This caused us all sort of issues with voice mail functionality that in the end had us upgrade CUC in an pre planned maintenance window to get to a working system landscape.

Response Signature

Thanks.  It may be easier to get downtime on voicemail so getting that out of the way first would make sense.

I'm finding out a few things about the cluster and for example the CUC has it's own co-hosted PLM (as it was installed before CUCM was upgraded to 11.5). And because they're now on Flex all their 12.5 licences are sitting ready in the SA.  So from a licensing point of view they could be upgraded in either order.

bowenqin0102
Level 1
Level 1

I think you misunderstand CSR 12.5 and CUCM 12.5. 

Not sure who you’re answering, but in no place I see CSR mentioned by anyone. What do you mean by that whom ever you refer to misunderstand CSR 12.5 and CM 12.5?

Response Signature

First link you shared is CSR matrix. Of course CSR 12.5 minimum version of unity connection is 12.5. CUCM 12.5 matrix wasn’t mention anything about Unity compatibility. But Unity 12.5 compatibility matrix did mention it support UCM version 12.5 12 and 11.5.

I have not shared any links. Maybe you’re mixing up who wrote what.

Response Signature