Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Message Archiver Problems

I have been trying to set up the "Unity Connection Message Archiver" as I need to back up some messages from the system.

I'm using Cisco Unity Connection, version 10.5.2.16901-1. It should not be the "unrestricted" version and as far as I can tell, it is the normal "restricted" version.

I have used the Message Archiver succesfully a few years ago (on a previous Admin PC and earlier version of Unity Connection).

After having issues with both the old Message Archiver (v1.0.15) and the new CLI version (v1.0.16) I have discovered that my first issue was the 20 character password, which worked fine on the web interface. However trying to use this password in the Unity Connection tools gave a login error (and a bad password bump in the user in Unity). It appears to be happy with a 16 character password, however I can't find any information with the utilities that raises the password length issues.

Once I'd managed to authenticate correctly I have hit issues with exporting the messages out - both clients show up IMAP errors. I've attached an output from v1.0.15 with usernames, IPs etc removed.

Both v1.0.15 and 1.0.16 show errors regarding connecting to IMAP on port 7993. I have followed the process for making sure the SMTP service doesn't force encryption, but the IMAP error persists. Trying to use the switch "/useCUMI" still ends up giving an error about IMAP.

The user being used was created specifically to allow messages to be exported, so does not have it's own mailbox. It does have the "Remote Admin" and "Mailbox Access Delegate Account".

The IMAP service is running on the Unity Connection server, but port 7993 doesn't appear to be open (I can't see it on a port scan or open a connection using a telnet client).

Can anyone help me work out what I'm missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

couple things.

1. the password length restriction is actually enforced by the IBM drivers themselves - Unity Connection allows 20 characters, IBM's client software does not.  We opened a case with IBM about this but they don't intend to address it so far as we know.

2. the command for CUMI for the message archiver CLI is not "/useCUMI" - that's the CLI option for COBRAS Export.  Message Archiver CLI uses all single character commands, "-h" is for "use HTTP" instead of IMAP.  I know this works as it was used by a couple sites I was working with just last week.  The tool's page has a breakdown of all the commands: http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/MessageArchiverCli/MessageArchiverCli.html

3. if port 7993 isn't open then secure IMAP is not enabled on the server.  This means either you are running the unrestricted version or you're running a version that requires a $0 license to be applied to enable secure protocols (including secure IMAP) - I believe that's only the case for 11.5 SU3 or later though - this document has more details: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/security/b_11xcucsecx/b_11xcucsecx_chapter_01011.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

couple things.

1. the password length restriction is actually enforced by the IBM drivers themselves - Unity Connection allows 20 characters, IBM's client software does not.  We opened a case with IBM about this but they don't intend to address it so far as we know.

2. the command for CUMI for the message archiver CLI is not "/useCUMI" - that's the CLI option for COBRAS Export.  Message Archiver CLI uses all single character commands, "-h" is for "use HTTP" instead of IMAP.  I know this works as it was used by a couple sites I was working with just last week.  The tool's page has a breakdown of all the commands: http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/MessageArchiverCli/MessageArchiverCli.html

3. if port 7993 isn't open then secure IMAP is not enabled on the server.  This means either you are running the unrestricted version or you're running a version that requires a $0 license to be applied to enable secure protocols (including secure IMAP) - I believe that's only the case for 11.5 SU3 or later though - this document has more details: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/11x/security/b_11xcucsecx/b_11xcucsecx_chapter_01011.html

also, from the CUC command line, if you type "show version active" it should show the master version and if it's restricted or unrestricted.

Thanks for your very speedy response. I've only just been in a position to work through it.

When I was checking the pages for the Message Archiver applications I didn't see any caveats about the Informix password length limitation. It may help some users to have a note here that it is a requirement for password length there.

I had failed to check against the built in help - when researching the IMAP error all of the posts I was reading kept referencing /useCUMI, so I'd gotten fixated on that. The application is currently downloading the item database, so I'll work through from that.

I'll check with my Cisco support partner about why the secure IMAP isn't working - I'll try and remember to update this if I get anywhere with it.

Again, thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: