cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity crashes backing up message store with Backup Exec

robert.mahan
Level 1
Level 1

Every time I try to backup Unity Exchange message store Unity server crashes. I have seperate domains, Unity 4.0(2), Backup Exec 8.6. No indications (that I can find) as to what caused the crash. Crash may happed 100 meg into backup or 2 to 3 Gig in. Most time it seems to be backing up the log files.

8 Replies 8

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Can you please characterize the crash? Which process crashes? How to you recover? What do you see in the application log before and after the crash?

I don't know of any issues where backing up Exchange would crash the AvCsMgr service...

Thanks,

Keith

The crash is a Windows crash and reboot. Nothing in the application log except services starting up. Same with the system log, just says that the last shutdown was unexpected. The machine usually just reboots and comes back up on it's own.

Is the instance of Exchange that you are backing up on the Unity server? I assume the answer to this question will be a yes. If so you might want to contact Veritas as their software likely has the issue...

Thanks,

Keith

I searched MS website for your issue and came up with a few things:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Queryc=backup+exec+stop&Query=backup+exec+stop&srch=sup&catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=win2000&KeywordType=ALL&Titles=false&numDays=&MaxResults=25&srchstep=1&InCC_hdn=...

First thing to do is to get the crash signature - that means, not letting the server reboot after a crash. Open Control Panel, System, select the Advanced-tab, UNCHECK "Automatically Reboot".

You should be able to take the stop code from Window's crash to either Veritas or MS.

H. M.

Thanks for the help! Sorry about the delay in responding. I will try that when I get a chance (probably this weekend) I'm beginning to think that the problem is something other that backup's. We had a crash (reboot) yesterday that looked the same and nothing was happening out of the ordinary.

Search C:\Documents and Settings\All Users for user.dmp. Look at the time and date. When a software crashes, windows should write the problem to this file and you can provide that to Microsoft.

If your server crashed and didn't do a dump, you might have hardware or driver problems.

H. M.

Thanks, I found a user.dmp file from 042904. The system has crashed/rebooted at least three times since then.

robert.mahan
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone for their input. Looks like this is a hardware problem. I found Bug Check stops in the Compaq log that coresponded to some of the stops. After some research it looka likw the stops indicate a Disk Controller problem. Qwest has the maintenance contract on this box and they are replacing the server.