Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Failover from Primary to Secondary Server

peteloveys
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning

We are experiencing problems with Unity 7.0(02) failing over to the secondary server, at the same time in the evening , with no apparent reason.  It doesn't happen every evening but enough to become an annoyance.  Initiating a failback is no problem.  Nothing appears to show on the logs or event viewer as to why the failover happens. 

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Pete

5 Replies 5

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Pete,

There are various reasons why Unity may failover.  None of which will actually come out and tell you why your system is failing over, unfortunately.  Here's the document that explains how to troubleshoot it:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1131

Hope that helps,

Brad

Thank you.  This gives me some "light reading" whilst sipping at my evening Jack Daniels.

Morning Brad

We had another failover yeserday evening and I followed your instructions, however, when I downloaded the logfiles this morning they were all dated 23032011.  Is there a way I can view the files from yesterday or have they been "filed"?

Pete

Pete,

Just a bit of background on how the log files work.  Once you set the proper macro/micro traces, you'll need to make sure you click "Start New Log Files" link within the Diagnostic Tool.  Once this is done, your new traces will be active.  As the logs grow, they'll reach a certain size and by default will overwrite after 400MB which can be configured in the Diagnostic Tool for something higher if you wish.  Everytime a new log file is written, it's given the filename of the date and timestamp.  So the logs most likely overwrote themselves quickly if they're all showing a March 23rd timestamp for a timestamp after the incident.  Ideally you want some time pre and post incident.  I would recommend just making sure you've got enough space on your drive that contains your log files and increase the logging limit to maybe 1 GB or so and see if that gives you a bit more padding.

Brad

Thanks again Brad