cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity's Reaction is Slow

dolah
Level 1
Level 1

Unity's reaction to a button press (ie press 3 to delete a voice mail) is really slow. Time varies from a short 1 second delay to 5 seconds. I've been told by a user who has experienced another Cisco IP/Unity system, that comparably ours is much slower in responding.

Please help.

Thanks

Debbie

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's hard to help you without more information.

Unity version?

Back end configuration?

Are all inputs slow or are you being specific to deleting messages, forwarding messages and such?

These are indications of lags waiting for response from the mailstore - Unity isn't "sitting" on your input and thinking about it, we're communicating with external systems and waiting for responses.

If you have deleted messages moving to the deleted items folder, you can experience this specific to the "3" input you mention - but if you have other input that's slow (please provide those details) then something else is going on. If it's limited to deletion of messages then you can turn off the option to copy messages to the deleted items folder in the user's COS which, of course, speeds things along. If that's not an option, we need to look at lag times on the Exchange side of the fence.

To add to Jeff's comments, delays experienced on either the Exchange message store itself or the network connectivity between the Unity and Exchange server commonly cause symptoms such as yours. So if you do not think you have a performance issue with Exchange itself, also look into the network connectivity. Make sure switches/routers between the two are capable of handling the high bandwidth throughput needed. This seems to be a common mistake when placing Unity in the network.

This all assumes that you are running Unified Messaging or an external message store of some kind.

Fred

Thanks for responding...

We do not have Unified Messaging in use. We use this Exchange server strictly for voice mail and very few people connect to it via Outlook.

I don't believe we have a performance issue with Exchange. I'll have to check on this, but I believe the Unity servers are gigabit ethernet connected to a gigabit backbone. The server is a ProLiant DL320 G2, with 512 Mb RAM, one hard drive broken into two partitions 8 GB and 26 Gb, file system is NTFS (not Dynamic) and it appears to be fragmented. (the Disk Analyzer is saying that it should be defragged. It has 20 voice mail ports available and usually uses ~8 at the most at any one time (with 2 of those being MWI).

Debbie

Thanks for responding...

Unity Version: 4.0(4)

Back end: Exchange 2000

We do have deleted messages moving to the deleted items folder and it does seem to be more delayed between restoring and deleting messages.

Keeping deleted messages is a feature that people like, is there something that I can do (add RAM or something) that will speed this up?

Debbie