Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity upgrade 4.0(4) to 8.x with New Hardware

JEFF SMITH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Seen a lot of good posts on this and I'm leaning towards the fresh install of 8.0(3) on the new hardware into the same windows domain then using COBRAS/GSM to port the subscribers and data across but I have to following questions:

For COBRAS I need to upgrade to 4.0(5) before doing the export and then once on 4.0(5) will digital networking work with v8.0(3) so I can use GSM to move the subscribers? According to the Unity Networking Guide the versions being used here (v4.0(5) and 8.0(3)) will not work in a Unity digital network. Is this correct? Has anyone done this before?

If I take the DIRT route then I need to get up to 4.2(1) minimium before then upgrading to 8.0(3) so I am concerned this is going to take me a hell of a lot of time but although long winded would be more straightforward and safer route.

Many Thanks
Jeff

4 Replies 4

Joe Botti
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently in the process of moving from 4.0(5) to 7.02 and will be using the GSM/Cobras method. Seems to be the best bet from what people are telling me and what i'm reading.

A coworker of mine updated unity using the DiRT method you mentioned but it seems to have been time consuming with the install of 4.0(5) and everyone seems to stand behind COBRAS method so i'm going to give it a shot. I'd recommend you look in that direction.

Thanks Joe,

I like the idea of the COBRAS/GSM route but the digital networking dependances worry me with these versions. According to Cisco documentation for Digital Networking with v8 the lowest supported version in the same digital network is v5.x

Also if I'm going to the effort of upgrading 4.0(4) to 4.0(5) for COBRAS compatability why don't I just go to 4.2(1) on the exsisting and new hardware, do a DIRT backup and restore and then do a in-place upgrade to 8 on the new hardware?

Just to add that I don't want to get to v8 on the new hardware having gone down the Cobras route to find that I can't move the subscribers using GSM. Does anybody know if GSM will work when moving subscribers between v4.0(5) or 4.2(1) to 8.0(3) although not offically supported by Cisco?

Thanks

jedellerby
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded from 4.0.5 to 7 recently with a fresh build and COBRAS alone. I used this to pull all the subscribers and VMs, no GSM involved. I found COBRAS to be a very effective tool and used it repeatedly to pull subscribers during a migration. For items not supported by the migration tools it was simply a case of manually configuring those items.

To confirm the process I built unity in a VMware VM firstly and this was great for confirming the process. Maybe it will help clarify the digital networking issue?

Jed

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App