Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity v7.0.2 - LowVirtual Memory below 30%

tinochelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am running v7.0.2 Unity and I am getting LowVirtual Memory Alarms as the 30% Threshold has been passed.  I would like to know how I can adjust the Threshold?  I have included some hardware info below.

HW Platform       : 7825H3
Processors        : 1
Type              : Family: Xeon
CPU Speed         : 2133
Memory            : 2048 MBytes

RAM                :2GB

Looking at RTMT the tomcat process seems to be using the highest amount of resources.

Shared Memoy: 69000KB

VmSize: 1087560KB

VmData: 937708KB

PageFault Count: 5018

These alarms are pretty regular.  I expect a reboot will resolve the issue but only for a short period of time.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Tino

8 Replies 8

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This isn't an uncommon issue for Unity servers. Many of the issues are the result of SQL being on the system which, by it's very nature, will eat up as much memory as is available until another process calls on it and, at that time, it will give some of it back up for the requesting process. It also wn't usually use enough to crash the system although it may use a very large amount. Here is a great article about SQL behavior...

There's a nice MS doc that covers this:
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363

Typically 30% is very high threshold to have setup. I would honestly recommend 15% and have had to even recommend as low as 5% to 8% to avoid the alarms and the system was still stable with no issues. I would start with 15% for now. Also, if you are using CUOM it's recommended to run any system for a time to get a baseline before setting arbitrary monitoring percentages so that you don't run into this problem and know what the average memory usage is going to be during normal opporation for your system. Here is some info on that from one of my other case worked previously with alarms from CUOM.

You have to essentially create a baseline and then set your values based upon a baseline.

Here is a URL that covers Performance Monitoring:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/maintenance/guide/ex/5xcumge070.html#wp1089445

You have to establish a 'Normal' operating value.  To do this, you 

need to monitor your systems on a typical day and record the typical

range for each value.  Once you have established that baseline, you 

can set up alarms for values that exceed that normal range. Setting this level is tricky, but necessary.  If you set it too low, you are going to get alarms weekly or daily.  If you set it too high, you run the risk of degraded performance and not being alerted to it.

Thanks!

Tray

Hi Trey,

Thanks you very much for the info and I have read the article you posted which explains the behaviour seen on the Unity Server.

I agree that the 30% threshold is high and I believe that is the default for whatever reason.  I am using Solarwinds for monitoring as it is not a large enough network to justify CUOM :-).    Do you know how the default threshold can be set down to 10% or 15%?

I have never adjusted thresholds on these units.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Franco

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can't say I have ever used Solarwinds for monitoring. I would imagine there is info in the help file for the software or at their website. Sorry I don't know more in that.

Regards,

Tray

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Trey,

I dont think it matters what software I use to see the syslog messages as they are being generated by the Unity server itself and are simply sent so the Solarwinds server so I believe the threshold to be a setting on the Unity Server.  What I need to determine is if I can change the virtual memory threshold on the Unity Server....How do i do it? :-)

Cheers,

Tino

I am not sure I would agree with that. Monitoring is setup on a 3rd party software and typically uses some form of an SNMP trap

to which you can tell it was percentages to alarm on. At least when I used to do IT work, we had to setup monitoring that way. There wasn't anything on the Unity or, in this case, Windows OS servers that you would do this with. In fact, I went to solarwinds.com and looked up the documentation for one of their products (not sure if it is the one you are using) called Orion NPM and it has the instructions on what alerts are, how to set them up, and how to configure alert type as well as how to change thresholds.

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionNPMAdministratorGuide.pdf

I think I mentioned checking out the docs for solarwinds or the help for your specific solarwinds monitoring software so check those out for answers specific to yours if it isn't Orion.

Thanks!

Tray

Trey,

I am now out the office but when I get back tomorrow I will have a look at the Orion settings and see if the Thresholds can be adjusted in there.  I may well be looking at it from the wrong perspective in that it is indeed the Software that has thresholds set and when the syslog SNMP traps come in with less than 30% virtual memory that triggers Solarwinds to send a Critical Alarm. 

WIll hopefully get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Tino

Issue resolved by adjusting the threshold on RTMT.  Initially I could not access the Unity box on the same installation of RTMT I used to access the Pub & Sub.  This was down to slightly different versions between Unity (7.1.3) and the Cluster (7.0.2). Once I downloaded a version of RTMT from Unity and installed it on a differnet drive and setup the Unity IP I could then Adjust the Threshold in the Alerts section on the left hand side and have reduced it down to 10%.

Your post mentioned Unity, not Unity Connection so this is probably what led to the confusion.  Yes, with Unity Connection you can adjust the thresholds via RTMT.  Unity runs on Windows and there isn't a way to configure those by hand.  Unity is what Tray was speaking to.

Brad