Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Voicemail weird problem

maddox-mp
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are encountering a problem with some users on our CCM 4.X/Unity 4.2 Cluster. The IP phone shows "You have voicemail" , the MWI Lamp stay ON, but in reality when user check the VM ,there are not voice mail messages . After troubleshooting the Unity looks that is Fine, and problem appear to be in CCM.

Has someone encounter this issue and what was the fix?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Maddox

22 Replies 22

I really need you to see if the code is sent by the unity server itself when you check a new message.

By the way, this is not a weird issue, it is quite normal.

rlp

Yes the code is send by Unity when you check a new message.

Maddox

I think that we found the problem and have the solution for it.

After looking at the micro and macro traces we saw that Unity was sending the

MWI correctly. We checked on the CallManager side and we saw a conflict with

the MWI on/off 8111/8110 configuration. There were two partitions that the MWI

on/off 8111/8110 belonged to. This was causing all the conflict (overlaping MWI DN's).

It is not a bgood practice to use 2 set of MWI on/off with the same DN because of a conflict with CSS/PA's.

Solution. We will remove one of 8110/8110 ports from CCM and work on CCS an PA's so that CSS configured under MWI on/off DN's contain the partitions of the phones that we need to send MWI request to.

Maddox,

So since the code is sent by Unity, that means Unity is not the problem.

Ok this is what we know. If you dial the off code directly on the phone the light will turn off.

If Unity sends the code, the light does not turn off. I am having a little difficulty with this because if you hit the refresh button on a subscriber, Unity sends the code and CallManager turns the light off.

How are the voice mail ports configured on the callmanager server? They have to be able to dial the MWI extension and not get a fast busy. Meaning the correct CSS and partitions.

They Unity voice mail ports might not be the same as the phone. (diregard as this would effect all unity subscribers)

rlp

So after reading your message that you sent while i was typing. We were thinking the same thing. :-)

Why would it not affect everyone though, I know less about CCM than Unity.

rlp

If we try to separate the MWI on/off requests going to two separate groups - this will not work well because Unity only knows if a port is available to send MWI requests and it won't know which request for MWI is for what group.

So if you have for instance port 96 pointed to a group New York and port 95 pointed to a group in Toronto and if a Voice message is left for a person in Toronto - when Unity tries to send MWI to Toronto user, it would not be able to do that since 96 is available . In short, Toronto user might get the CCM but NOT the Correct MWI state.

Maddox

I think this issue has been fixed. What version of TSP do you have?

Do Toronto and New York have different Clusters in the UTIM?

rlp?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Guys,

Randy, 5 points for your perserverance (sp?) and good help here! Maddox, 5 points for posting back your solution for future reference :)

Take care,

Rob