cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Voicemail without Email

erb
Level 1
Level 1

i'm sure this should work, but looking for confirmation as every account i've built so far has been from our Exchange...

9 Replies 9

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Eric,

Not sure what you're expecting, or what the actual problem is. Can you provide more detail of what you're trying to accomplish?

Brad

oh, sorry. thanks for your prompt reply!

i've got a DN that needs voicemail. there is no exchange account associated with this DN user. every voicemail i've set up so far has been based on an existing exchange user, so i don't know how to set this up as there is no exchange account with this.

If the user needs the ability to check voice mail via the phone, they'll need a user account created in AD since mailboxes are tied to user accounts.

If this user just needs voice mail sent to an email address as an email with a .wav file attachment, you'll want to look into Internet Subscribers. But, sounds to me like you're interested in a specific DN having access via the phone.

Hope that helps,

Brad

To add to Brad's reply here, you can add a user one of two ways. If they don't already have an Active Directory Account and associated Exchange Mailbox, you can just create a user based on that DN in the SAweb by going to the Subscribers menu and clicking the + button and choosing "create" user instead of import. If you have the permissions to do so, Unity will create a Unity subscriber as well as the AD and Exhcange accounts. If you don't have the permissions to create from scratch in SAweb, it's best to create an AD account for that user and also have AD create the Exchange mailbox. After that, go to the same Subscriber Menu in SAweb and create a user for him by choosing the Import Existing Exchange user option.

Tray

Tray, what you describe is what i usually do, and as most of our phone users also have computer access and email it's not a problem. But this user there is no AD account, and no email, and I don't want there to be any. just voicemail. Can i do that, or *must* there be an AD and exchange account for voicemail?

Yes, there must be an AD/Exchange account in order to store voice mail. Otherwise, you're left with simple email notifications as I described earlier.

Hope that clarifies,

Brad

I have asked multiple Cisco Engineers about this too, and the bottom line, from what they told me is, Yes. Once you migrate to an Unified Messaging system and port over to Exchange, every user must have an Exchange account. I believe you can set it up to go to an external SMTP account. Another caveat is I did this, kind of pointed it to a dummy account, but when you try to leave a message for that user, you get an email with a failed delivery notification. If you do get it to work, I would be interested as this has been a little pain when I want to do what your are trying to.

hmm, ok thanks frederick that's about what i'm finding too. Maybe i'm going about this the wrong way. I've got two people with the same job function at two different buildings. I want to have one ext that people can dial, to reach either of these two people, or to leave a message if niether are available. what is the best way to go about this?

Hi -

Here's one option:

1. Create an AD account with email inbox.

2. Import the user into Unity with the phone extension that will be shared. Hide the account from the global address list. That eliminates users from sending email messages.

3. Voicemail coverage on the directory number to voicemail.

4. One of the two users enroll in voicemail, and for the greeting say something like, "You have reached the shared voicemail box for user1 and user2. Please leave a message ..."

6. Both users share the same voicemail password. Not elegant, but you only burn one user license.

Or another option:

1. Create a Unity call handler with the extension of the phone. Create greeting and caller input keys that say, "To leave a message for User1, press 1. To leave a message for User2, press 2.

2. Create two AD accounts with email.

3. Import both accounts into Unity, giving user1 the extension xxxxx1 and user2 the extension xxxxx2, where xxxxx = the actual phone number.

3. Hide the accounts from the GAL.

4. Each user enrolls in voicemail. However this method uses two user licenses.

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: