cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Unity Connection 7.1.5 (Linux Appliance)

mark.watson
Level 1
Level 1

I have done hundreds of upgrades from Windows Unity to Linux Unity Connection using COBRAS.  What I typically do is do the COBRAS export of everything except messages and then import that into the new Unity Connection and do some testing.  At cutover I then run another export and this time grab the messages and do the import.

Now I am doing my first Unity Connection Linux to Linux so I am assuming that this is similar to upgrading a CUCM.  I build the same version on the new platform, perform a DRS restore so now I have an exact copy then upgrade that.  Assuming I am correct about that, how would I handle the messages as I do not want to copy the messages until just before cutover so they are up to date?

Is there a way to restore just the user info, greetings, call handlers etc. and do the messages at the last minute like my method with COBRAS?  If so, I assume then that I cannot perform the upgrade to 10.x until I have all the latest messages on the system.

Am I on the right track or is there another way?

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

As per the upgrade guide "While the subscriber server is being upgraded, messages that are left on the publisher server are delivered to user mailboxes on the publisher server. When the upgrade of the subscriber server is complete, the messages are replicated to the subscriber server and are delivered to user mailboxes on the subscriber server. If single inbox is configured, messages are synchronized to Exchange after they are delivered to user mailboxes. If a large number of messages were left during the upgrade, there may be a significant delay before message delivery, replication, and synchronization with Exchange."

So, there should be no issues with the messages if Unity Connection cluster is being used, you can check the following for additional details

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/9x/upgrade/guide/9xcucrugx/9xcucrug010.html

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Manish,

I appreciate your reply however this Unity Connection server is not clustered.  I appreciate the link though, perhaps my answer is in that document.

Hi Mark,

"As per the DRS admin guide for CUC

Step 7 Select the features to back up in the Select Features area. You must choose at least one feature.

Always choose to back up the following features:

Recorded greetings and voice names (CONNECTION_GREETINGS_VOICENAMES).

The database (CONNECTION_DATABASE).

Other Connection-specific data (CUC).

Backing up messages (CONNECTION_MESSAGES_<database name>) is optional."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/drs_administration/guide/8xcucdrsag.html#wp109095

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/drs_administration/guide/7xcucdrsag.html

Manish