cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 3rd party backup software to backup Unity 4.0(4)

kimyin-tay
Level 1
Level 1

The customer setup is a single Unity 4.0(4) server configured in a voicemail environment. The Exchange server is installed on the Unity server.

They are using Veritas backup software to backup the Unity 4.0(4) server.

However, the backup software version will not backup the open files which exist on the Exchange server.

Pls advise what is the impact when the open files are not backup.

If the customer still insist on using this veritas software to backup the Unity Server,

how do we ensure we will be able to restore the Unity server ( with all the user data intact ) ?

I have spoken to customer about using Unity own backup software - DiRT, they are unwilling to use it bacause of the long restoration time required, as DiRT only backup the user data but not the entire system.

4 Replies 4

Hin Lee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually Veritas is approved for backing up Unity and Exchange, and sql. I think the problem is that they don't have the Exchange agent for Veritas.

You can always use the built in MS Backup util to bu the system state & exchange mailstores until you get the Veritas agents.

kimyin-tay
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the advice. However, the open files problem has not been answered.

My question is if the open files are not being back up, are we still able to restore the Unity Server successfully without any data loss ?

You will lose data.

Backing Up and Restoring a Cisco Unity System, Versions 4.0(1) Through 4.0(3)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00801f4ba7.shtml