Views
Helpful
Replies

Using PCD to migrate from VM to an already deployed VM

al_vargas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to expand a 2.000 users cluster to a 7.500 users clusters. I tried to do that by deploying DRS, however I was not able to do it because DRS process estates the security password is different from the backup. I have a open TAC case to investigate it, maybe the problem is the @character in the password.

So I'm wondering if I can use PCD to move the data from the small cluster to the big one to overcome the DRS. I'm running a lab to do that however PCD doesn't allow me to use a already deployed virtual machine as the destination of the migration. Is there any way to bypass that? The big problem is I have no permission to deploy any new VM in VMware infrastructure, but I can ask to the VMWare bootstrap a simple CUCM installation to allow me migrate the data from the old cluster to the new one.

Regards,

Alberto

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alberto,

First of all you should always mention the cucm versions and other important info while posting something on community since the procedures for various things change with diff versions. Yes, with DRS backup and restore the security password needs to be known otherwise it will fail.If the cluster is still up and running you can easily change the security password by using the procedure mentioned in the following link and then take a DRS backup again and use it on a freshly built cluster with similar version

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_6_1/cucos/osg_861_cm/iptpch2.html#wp1053218

With PCD you need to follow the steps mentioned in the PCD admin guide , basically you will build a VM and then allow PCD to migrate the data from existing to new cluster. However, do check the versions compatibility and other factors listed in the guide for PCD

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/10_5_1/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_pcd-administration-guide-1051/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_ucmap-administration-guide-1051_chapter_010.html

Manish

View solution in original post

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there is no way to bypass that, as what you're doing, is not what the product was made for. PCD does not allow to consolidate clusters, that's a manual job.

PCD will only migrate from a running VM, into a blank VM, no way around that, because PCD wouldn't know what to do, even if you found a way.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alberto,

First of all you should always mention the cucm versions and other important info while posting something on community since the procedures for various things change with diff versions. Yes, with DRS backup and restore the security password needs to be known otherwise it will fail.If the cluster is still up and running you can easily change the security password by using the procedure mentioned in the following link and then take a DRS backup again and use it on a freshly built cluster with similar version

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_6_1/cucos/osg_861_cm/iptpch2.html#wp1053218

With PCD you need to follow the steps mentioned in the PCD admin guide , basically you will build a VM and then allow PCD to migrate the data from existing to new cluster. However, do check the versions compatibility and other factors listed in the guide for PCD

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/10_5_1/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_pcd-administration-guide-1051/CUCM_BK_U35347D2_00_ucmap-administration-guide-1051_chapter_010.html

Manish

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there is no way to bypass that, as what you're doing, is not what the product was made for. PCD does not allow to consolidate clusters, that's a manual job.

PCD will only migrate from a running VM, into a blank VM, no way around that, because PCD wouldn't know what to do, even if you found a way.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate