Views
Helpful
Replies

VG410 - vDSP - EEM Scripts Fail with AAA/TACACs

cnattress
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The Cisco VG410 comes with a virtual, or soft, DSP, called the vDSP. My company experienced issues with the vDSP "pre-configured" by Cisco and attempted to remove and install the vDSP after the VG was integrated with all our standards - AAA/TACACs being one of them.

The voice vdsp install command appears to function as a script by injecting various EEM (Event Manager) scripts and then activating these EEM applets in order to perform the necessary IOS commands to install the vDSP. With AAA/TACACs installed, the EEM applets fail. They fail because AAA/EEM sends a blank username for command authorization.

Items I have attempted:

• Set the eem local user account, that fails.
  • Apply a temporary AAA set to use local against the VTY lines and this works, but is not desired.
  • I reviewed the EEM applets and was able to manually build the vDSP using the commands extracted from the EEM applets.
  • Removing and installing the vDSP when the VG is fresh out of the box, before AAA is configured, and the installer works.

All of this and yet my company installed VGs into production only to find the vDSP is not working. What I have found is to just edit the EEM applets in order to get the installer to work, no need to mess with AAA and possibly get locked out :). Just add the "auth bypass" command to each applet.

You can issue the voice vdsp remove command, reboot if desired, and then issue the voice vdsp install command, these EEM Applets are built:

event manager applet stopvdsp
event manager applet enableiox
event manager applet configvdsp
event manager applet installvdsp
event manager applet noiox
event manager applet deactivdsp
event manager applet upgradevdsp

Just edit each one of these lines, add auth bypass to the end, paste back into the config, and bingo!

event manager applet stopvdsp auth bypass
event manager applet enableiox auth bypass
event manager applet configvdsp auth bypass
event manager applet installvdsp auth bypass
event manager applet noiox auth bypass
event manager applet deactivdsp auth bypass
event manager applet upgradevdsp auth bypass

I do have a TAC case opened. I have advised this needs resolution and that the auth bypass being added to the IOS scripted command is the way to go.

I wanted to share this in case anyone else is experience the same issues.

0 Replies 0