Views
Helpful
Replies

ViewMail, IMAP and OWA access for MS Outlook

paul_savage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Cisco Unity Connection ( and CUE) with regard to voice messages.  Not too sure of the answer so if someone could clarify that would be great.... I thank you in advance....

If i have Outlook with an IMAP connection, i understand that the users will have their MS Exchange inbox and a seperate Inbox for the IMAP connection to retrieve, view voicemail messages...

looking at the documetation, i see that for Unity connection IMAP-O is supported..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps5745/ps2237/product_data_sheet0900aecd806bfc37_ps5520_Products_Data_Sheet.html

So my question is:

If the IMAP-O supports the outlook plugin, and if i have Cisco viewmail, would i be able to retrieve those voice/.wav messages with Outlook Web Access (OWA) ?  or is it still seperate inboxes for the exchange and IMAP inboxes ??

I really appreciate your answers on this / or put me straight that would be a big help

thanks in advance and kind regards

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Probably not.  IMAP is really client based access (outlook) directly to the CUC server.   OWA is a web-based product to access your Exchange email box.  There is no IMAP support for OWA.

If the client (Outlook) was left running on the desk and they had a rule setup to say any IMAP email (new) move to the Inbox of their Exchange account, then the client would be able to see it in OWA.

The other way to do this, if you really want to use OWA is to use the Store and foward with SMTP.  Basically, CUC will foward the voicemail and or store and foward to the SMTP server which when then place it in their inbox.  The downside, no MWI control with this method.

The IMAP-O is simply Viewmail pluggin for Outlook.  Gives you the play/pause/fwd/rev buttons

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Probably not.  IMAP is really client based access (outlook) directly to the CUC server.   OWA is a web-based product to access your Exchange email box.  There is no IMAP support for OWA.

If the client (Outlook) was left running on the desk and they had a rule setup to say any IMAP email (new) move to the Inbox of their Exchange account, then the client would be able to see it in OWA.

The other way to do this, if you really want to use OWA is to use the Store and foward with SMTP.  Basically, CUC will foward the voicemail and or store and foward to the SMTP server which when then place it in their inbox.  The downside, no MWI control with this method.

The IMAP-O is simply Viewmail pluggin for Outlook.  Gives you the play/pause/fwd/rev buttons

Thanks!!!!  That really answers my question and you have confirmed what I thinking in so much as they IMAP inbox would/and is seperate from the exchange inbox.  I like the suggestion of the store and forward to send the mail into the exchange inbox but i really appreciate your answer to my question

thanks all lot....I hope i can answer some question for you someday :-)