Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Host not responding in UCS Server

Hi,

we have cucm 8.6 cluster hosted on two UCS C-200 M2 servers, until last month it was working fine but from last month we are experiencing Publisher going down , there was one faulty HDD which i replaced with Cisco RMA and got new one, after few days again it went down, this time i am totally not able to access the VM host through Vsphere and even i couldn't ping it.

i can access the UCS server through CIMC,there is no problem in CICM logs, but still i am not able to ping VM Host or Guest.

with the publisher down now the subscriber not allowing any changes to cucm.

Please help...

12 Replies 12

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you go to the physical console of the host, does it show the correct network info? Can you perform the "Test Management Network" function? If that does not work can you "Restart Management Network" Both of these are accessed from the F2 menu at the console. If these fail, can you restart the host?

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Thank you very much for the reply,

i tested the management network and its working fine except domain name error, which is still default from day 1.

i restarted the server many time and from cimc also i tried to power cycle the server, still i am not able to ping the host VM ip.

By "host VM ip" do you mean the vmware management interface or the IP address of the Publisher VM? Can you access the host via the vsphere client?

Yes i cannot access VMware Management Interface, i cannot access the host from vsphere client.

It is totally down, all i can access is only CIMC.

But the management network test works? Routing issue? I'm assuming the vmware management network is on a separate subnet? Can you ping anything on this subnet from your PC?

Yes the test works,

UCS, Host VM and CUCM all are on same subnet, i can reach UCS ip only.

host vm was going down frequently from last one month, but now from last 4 days it is totally down.

The vmware network test should verify that the host can ping its default gateway. Can you ping from the default gateway back towards the host? Any device (firewall, router, etc.) between your PC and the host that could be blocking communication?

i did network management test from local KVM consol not from VMware host.

it just tested the default gateway ping, DNS and domain-name ping .

Right. Can you also ping the vmware interface from the default gateway? Any device (firewall, router, etc.) between your PC and the host that could be blocking communication?

Today i restarted the UCS server several times, now it is stuck in Hardware testing only, but i can access it through CIMC , i cannot launch KVM from CIMC as i am getting java error.

Sounds like you need to open a TAC case to sort out the problems. Could be multiple issues.

yes TAC is the last hope, but our UCS and cucm contract expired and company in no mood to renew as we are already in talks to buy new servers and upgrading the CUCM from 8.6 to 10.5.

at present i am stuck with faulty UCS and CUCM

can i shutddown both publisher and subscriber and replace all the HDD of publisher and subscriber and check, if that works atleast i can have the publisher UP until i sort out the issue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: