cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPIM domain requirement has been changed from Unity 404 to 405?

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

It seems there is a huge change regarding the domain selection on Unity 404 and 405.

404 requires same domain for both local and remote voicemail system. Unity 405 requires different.It quite confues me. I have attached excerpt from both versions

This is from Unity 404

Determining the Domain Name

In order for messages to be exchanged between the remote voice messaging system and Cisco Unity, the same domain name (for example "unity-vpim@domain.com") will need to be configured, as follows:

•On the remote voice messaging system on the location or node profile for Cisco Unity. (Refer to the documentation for the remote voice messaging system for additional information.)

•During the installation of the Voice Connector, on the SMTP Domain field for the VPIM Transport Event Sink.

•On the SMTP Domain Name field on the Network > Primary Location page in the Cisco Unity Administrator.

•In the recipient policy for the Voice Connector Exchange mailbox.

This is from Unity 405

Guidelines for Choosing Domain Names

The domain name uniquely identifies the messaging system. When choosing domain names used by Cisco Unity and the remote voice messaging system, keep the following in mind:

•Cisco Unity and the remote voice messaging system cannot use the same domain name; each system must use a unique domain name.

2 Replies 2

joconnors
Level 1
Level 1

The wording in 4.0(4) might be a little confusing, which may be why they changed it. The first bullet in your 4.0(4) excerpt is referring to what to configure on the location profile for Unity when you're configuring the remote system, not what to use for the remote system itself. In other words, it's referring to what you are telling the remote system about Unity, not what you're configuring for the remote system itself. You've always had to use a different domain name for the remote system.

Maybe the table below clarifies it a little...

Site 1 Site 2

Unity/Exchange/AD Remote vpim system

domain=unity.vpim.com domain=site2.vpim.com

------- -------

| | | |

| |-- | |

| | | | |

| | | | |

| | | | |

| | | | |

------- | -------

| |

--------

Unity configuration

-------------------

Primary Location, SMTP Domain Name = unity.vpim.com

Site 2 VPIM Delivery Location = site2.vpim.com

VPIM Transport Event Sink SMTP domain name = unity.vpim.com

In recipient policy for Voice Connector mailbox, domain = unity.vpim.com

Remote vpim system configuration

--------------------------------

Local (i.e. 'self') domain name = site2.vpim.com

Location profile configuration for Site 1, domain = unity.vpim.com

Excellent. This makes it clear.

Now I have a case which seems very difficult. Maybe you can throw some idea here.

Exchange server has two email domains: ABC.com and DEF.com. (Many custemer have couple smtp domains for their staff).Now it has a third party voicemail callxpress integrated with it already using the ABC.com. We are going to add Unity into this exchange and want vpim between these two voice mail.Two concerns I have:

1. I only have one exchange server. Not like the usual VPIM case :two seperated domains.

2. Is it possible to use DEF.com as remote domain and ABC.com as Unity VPIM domain if I can create a new recipient policy for Unity to use ABC.com. Will it work?

Thanks