cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

will unity service restarts if unity lose DC and unity reboot meantime?

ciscoforum
Level 1
Level 1

I have two customers who both have unified messaging.Unity 403 off box exchange 2K server. I am tring to find out what happens if the unity lose its DC and meantime unity reboots. Here is what I find out.

COndition: no DC available

One customer's unity reboots and unity doesn't start anymore

the other customer's unity reboots and unity is starting fine.

What should be the right result?Should Unity be oK when lose DC and meantime it restarts?

I know if unity starts and no exchange available, message will be delivered to uNity temporary. My question here is not about this, is about whether unity service will or should start again?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Unity doesn't really have any control over this. The Unity services logon with domain user accounts. If there isn't anything to authenticate them then Windows isn't going to start the service. Unity can't really do anything about it.

Only having a single DC/GC is very poor design. The customers should try to add a second DC/GC if they in fact only have one.

Also, Unity 4.0(4) and later can make use of redundant DC/GC for SQL to AD synching and MAPI address resolution if you apply Exchange 2000 SP3 + the August post-SP3 rollup.

Thanks,

Keith

There are actually couple DCs, but only one in local. I am thinking of one scenario that wan is down and local DC is down and unity happened to reboot....It's good to hear that service is only dependant on log on authentication.So, why unity could start the service even the DC is down in my case?

Because of the cache password?

Thanks