Views
Helpful
Replies

AIM-CUE - Filesystem type unknown ?

jeremyp81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am studying IIUC and I am up to the CUE module. Im pretty sure I have done something stupid. I removed the 1GB CF from the AIM-CUE module, put it in my 2801 CF slot and did a format flash: (I dont know why, I just thought it would let me start fresh ) . Now when the AIM-CUE goes through the boot process I get the following output.

Initializing memory.  Please wait....

256 MB SDRAM detected
BIOS Version: Cisco SE-AIM 01.02
BIOS Build date: 08/14/03
System Now Booting ...[BOOT-ASM]

Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x1
kf: a1 : (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
kf: a2 : (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open: (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
kernel_func: kt: 0
in boot func: kt: 0ÿ

I can get into the bootloader and use the boot helper to re-install the CUE files, but I guess if they are on the wrong filesystem type they are useless.

I have searched around and it looks like I need to have the "Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x83".

Now the only way I can see to re-format the flash to the reiserfs file system is the put the 1GB CF into a card reader and format it with my PC. Im going to give it a try now, but I also read somewhere there needs to be 2 partitions, however Im unsure what size each partition should be.

This is a second hand AIM-CUE so I dont have any support for it. Have I rendered my AIM-CUE useless, or is there a way I can dig myself out of this hole I have created ??

Thanks in advance.

JP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're not supposed to touch the CUE filesystem like that.

CF has a limited amount of read/writes before it stops working.  That's a part of how CF is designed.  If it was an old module, the CF may have reached the end of its lifespan.  The only option I can think of at this point is to replace the module under RMA, but you would need a support contract for that.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jeremyp81
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so now I have the Correct Filesystem and partition type on the flash. I used ubuntu to format the flash as reiserfs and partition type 0x82 ( Linux swap)

Now I get this output

Filesystem type is reiserfs, partition type 0x82
in grub_open1: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open2: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open3: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim 1
in grub_open4: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in boot func: kt: 0ÿ

Now every time it gets to the in boot func: kt: 0ÿ in the boot process it just start over again and seems to be stuck in a constant loop. Any help on this would be greatly appriciated. Willing to pay money if thats what it takes

Just re-install from boot helper.

Thanks for the reply paolo, however the boot loader / boot helper is the problem. Ive managed to get the right filsesystem type however now its stuck in this constant loop

Initializing memory.  Please wait.
256 MB SDRAM detected
BIOS Version: Cisco SE-AIM 01.02
BIOS Build date: 08/14/03
System Now Booting ...[BOOT-ASM]
Please enter '***' to change boot configuration:

Filesystem type is reiserfs,partition type 0x83
in grub_open1: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open2: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open3: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim 1
in grub_open4: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in boot func: kt: 0ÿ   <--when it gets to here it goes back to the "Initializing memory.  Please wait." and just keeps looping.

Any ideas why boot helper keeps looping like this ??

EDIT: Now I am getting "Not a cisco supported CF. Please use cisco supported CF and reinstall the software. System Halted"

Im guessing the CF may have been on its way out and now it has gone faulty ?

You're not supposed to touch the CUE filesystem like that.

CF has a limited amount of read/writes before it stops working.  That's a part of how CF is designed.  If it was an old module, the CF may have reached the end of its lifespan.  The only option I can think of at this point is to replace the module under RMA, but you would need a support contract for that.

You need to enter *** at the prompt, set variables and boot from TFTP, then follow the prompts to re-install via FTP.

All the details are in the documentation.

Another Correct answer from IEOC.COM forums

2 partitions, both type 83, first part starts at 1 ends at 5, second part starts at 6 ends at 993.

I hope this helps anyone who made same mistake as me

Thanks anyway guys.

P.S Paolo, the boot helper was configured correctly, It was looping because it could't see the right file structure so would never make it past installing the CUE installer files.

jeremyp81 wrote:

P.S Paolo, the boot helper was configured correctly, It was looping because it could't see the right file structure so would never make it past installing the CUE installer files.

I am not sure what do you mean by that. I did not see that you had loaded the installer via TFTP.

It would have automatically reset the partition table as part of the installation process.

Anyway, it is relved, so it's good like it is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: