cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - Unity and Unity Connection with Tim Tesluk

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to integrate and troubleshoot Unity and Unity Connection with Cisco expert Tim Tesluk. Tim is a customer support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He has worked on the Unity and Unity Connection support team in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina since 2007. Tim holds a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He is also a Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP).

Remember to use the rating system to let Tim know if you have received an adequate response.

Tim might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Other Collaboration, Voice and Video discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through March 25, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

37 Replies 37

Hi Brian,

The Relay Address field in the                 Edit Message Actions is only intended to accept one email address. It sounds like you already found the first work-around that I might recommend. Could be worth metioning to your Cisco sales account team as a possible feature enhancement request.

If you have more questions, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Tim

savio_correia
Level 1
Level 1

Tim,

We just deployed Unity 8.0.3  and we moved users over from Nortel.  User would like to see the Message indicator turn off as soon as they get into a message.  Not after they have saved or deleted the message.  Is this possible?

Hi Savio,

Sorry, but it looks like such a feature has not yet been included in Unity Connection. I'd again encourage pursuing a feature enhancement request with your Cisco sales account team.

Cheers,

Tim

mserwon
Level 1
Level 1

In going through the integration of Unity Connection 8.5.1 and exchange for unified messaging I found several steps not clearly explained.  Is there any chance that a document simlar to Configuring Microsoft Exchange for Unity Connection Message Transcription could be done for exchange 2010, 2007 and 2003 integrations.

Hi!

Excellent question. There's no reason we couldn't ceate a similarly notated document to clarify the Exchange configuration requirements described in the Configuring Cisco Unity Connection 8.5 and Later and Microsoft Exchange for Unified Messaging chapter of the

Unified Messaging Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 8.5 and Later. I'll see about getting one written (or assigning someone to write it ) sometime in the near future. That could take some time to finish, though. So in the meantime, was there a sepecific clarification I could offer?

Cheers,
Tim

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you Tim! These are very helpful responses (the entire thread)!

ajsherard
Level 1
Level 1

From my understanding when restoring a backup for a Unity failover system. You cannot restore a DIRT backup onto either the primary or secondary but to a standalone server. Once that is completed you run the failover config wizard on the standalone server. My question is, what other server do you run the failover config wizard ? Do you run it on the secondary ? Or does it matter ?

Hi ajsherard,

Thanks for posting. You are correct that the DiRT restore process can only be performed on a new installation of Unity software, before failover configuration wizard has been run. If you restoring the Primary Unity server, you'll run the Failover Configuration Wizard after the DiRT restore; Then, you'll also re-run Failover Configuration Wizard on your still-running secondary Unity server.

The Unity Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide goes into more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge150.html#wp1385518

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tim

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tim,

On the topic of sizing:

• Should one avoid creating Mailbox Stores larger than 15GB?  Why or why not?
  • Could one assume that if an MCS-7835-I3 can support 4,000 users @ 30 minutes of stored audio, that it could also support 1,000 users @ 120 minutes?
  • Is there current or future support for storing recorded messages off box? e.g., SAN storage

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

More great questions!

15GB is offered as a default mailbox store size because a mailbox store of that size can be backed up in about  six hours at 3 GB per hour. This equates to approximately  30 minutes of recordings for each of 1,000 users when the codec is  G.711. Because the Disaster Recovery System has a  significant impact on system performance, we suggest that each mailbox store is configured to be a  size that can be backed up during non-business hours.

4,000 users @ 30 minutes of stored audio is a figure based on an approximation of 8 KB/sec for G.711 recordings and the amount of hard drive space which comes with that server model. Your math is correct.

You can't do off-box message stores with current Unity Connection versions installed on an MCS, but as of version 8.0 we support installing Unity Connection on our UCS datacenter products which utilize VMWare, which could accomplish nearly the same thing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/requirements/8xcucsysreqs.html#wp360874

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Thank you for the response.  I would like to clarify a couple of items though:

15GB - If I have two servers in an HA pair, and my secondary is taking the hit on all the calls, could I run a backup during business hours on the primary?  Or does the backup process impact both servers in an HA pair?

Storage Math - So the limitation is total space, not a per user space?  I could do 4,000 users @ 30min per, or 1 user @ 120,000 minutes?

SAN - Wow, what a great solution, I cannot believe I didn't think of UCS!  Well, it's not that hard to believe, I've never installed one.

Thanks again,

Anthony

avholloway wrote:

15GB - If I have two servers in an HA pair, and my secondary is taking the hit on all the calls, could I run a backup during business hours on the primary?  Or does the backup process impact both servers in an HA pair?

The publisher node is responsible for message delivery and message notification tasks even while the subscriber is the one fielding the majority of the calls. So there is some resource competition there as well. I can't predict that you would definitely experience performance issues if you ran DRS during peak business hours. Our best practices recommendations lean on the side of caution.

avholloway wrote:

Storage Math - So the limitation is total space, not a per user space?  I could do 4,000 users @ 30min per, or 1 user @ 120,000 minutes?

Yup! In theory, you are correct. Your users are all sharing the same disk partition space.

Tim,

Again, thank you for taking the time to run with this ATE.  It's been great so far!

Anthony

Follow up question on storage - Can I over subscribe user quotas in relation to overall server storage limits?

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tim,

I don't see anything mentioned in the Unified Messaging guide for CUC 8.5 regarding Exchange 2010 Archive feature, and its effect on the Single Inbox.

Thoughts?  I'm looking to leverage the Archive feature as a means to manage voice mailbox size.

Thanks,

Anthony