cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call manager 4.1 report to show phone firmware version

Richard Dumag
Level 1
Level 1

We will be upgrading the firmware on all of our phones (approx 1500 phones) to prepare for 4.1 to 8.0 Call Manager upgrade.

Is there a reporting tool in Call Manager 4.1 that will show the firmware version of the phones?  

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately no, you can only see the device defaults or the firmware load on the phone config. But that doesn't guarantee the phones actually have that load, they might have failed.

Some 3rd party tools like the ones you use to gather the MAC addresses also retrieve more info as they actually access the phone info directly, you might want to look into that.

You can try searching CSC for similar threads and you'll probably get some suggestions.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Richard,

Just to add a note to my friend Java's good info here (+5 Java-Man!)

Try;

Device> Device Settings> Firmware Load Information

Device Not Using Default Load

This will show you any phones that deviate from the device defaults Fimware And if you click

on any device listed here it will show the actual Firmware that is being used on the specified device.

Cheers!

Rob

Richard Dumag
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Java and Rob for the info.

Rob, I looked at the "firmware load information" under device settings and I see no device not using the default load.

I have already installed the latest firmware on all of our CM servers and upgraded several phones for testing.

I even updated the "device defaults configuration" but I still see no device not using the default load.

Is there something else I need to do after installing the firmware upgrade on the CM servers?

Thank you!

Hi Richard,

If you changed the Device defaults page...have all the phones upgraded to the new Firmware.

Can you check a couple of the phones themselves via Settings > Model Information > Load File

Cheers!

Rob

Richard Dumag
Level 1
Level 1

Rob, not all phones have been upgraded yet.  I only upgraded several phones via "reset" for testing purposes and those phones upgraded successfully.  Here are some info on the load versions.  Thank you!

New load from couple of test phones

App Load IDjar41sccp.9-1-1TH1-16.sbn
Boot Load ID7941G_64-02070631Amd64megRel.bin
VersionSCCP41.9-1-1SR1S

Old load

App Load IDjar41sccp.8-3-4-16.sbn
Boot Load ID7941G_64-02070631Amd64megRel.bin
VersionSCCP41.8-3-5S

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Richard,

Well...something's amiss here ...

The Device defaults page should be set @ the "old" Firmware until you are ready to

do the mass upgrade. If it is set @ the new Firmware then any phone that rests, even by

accident will start the Firmware upgrade. Probably not what you want.

Did you go the physical phone and check it via Settings > Model Information > Load File

just to verify what they are running. Try one of the "test" phones and a phone that should be

still running the old version

Cheers!

Rob

Richard Dumag
Level 1
Level 1

Rob, actually before I hit the update button on the "device defaults configuration" the load information was already set at the new version.  I think it was automatically updated after I installed the new firmwares.

I checked the test and phones that haven't been upgraded physically and the test phones show the new version and old phones show the old version.

We are ready to deploy the new firmware and we will be doing it after hours and weekend one or two sites at a time.  I just need a reporting tool that will tell me which phones got updated and which phones did not.

Meanwhile what I will do during business hours is stop the tftp service on the CMs then turn them back on after hours before upgrading the phones.  This is to prevent a mass upgrade in case of unexpected network outages during the day.