Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IM and Presence 12.5.1.11900-117 5k Resizing

anastasiosz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have an IM&P cluster of 2 members in Active-Standby mode. VMs installed with 5k ova. Users increased and we need to go to 10k. Question is do we need to install new VMs with 10k ova or we can just increase vCPU, vRAM and vDisc to the numbers needed for 10k VMs. I guess the answer is reinstallation with the 10k ova but just want to make sure.

Kind Regards,

5 Replies 5

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @anastasiosz,

First of all there is no 10K OVA capacity for IM & Presence Servers. After 5K, it is 15K or 25K. In your case you can choose 15K capacity OVA. 

Cisco IM & Presence Application partially supports (only vCPU and vRAM) resizing of virtual machine. The disk requirement for both 5K and 15K OVA template is same. So you don't have to worry about resizing disk size and it is also not supported. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html#resize_vm

You can change vCPU and vRAM on both IM & Presence applications to match the hardware requirement for 15K OVA.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/older_pages/virtualization-cisco-ucm-im-presence-older.html#15000userVM

Please follow the best practices before making any changes. 

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Thanks for your answer Vaijanath .

You totally right about the 15k and not 10k, my mistake.

So please correct me if i understood wrong, you mean that i do not need to reinstall with 15k Ova templates? Just change  the vCPUs from 2 to 4 and vRam from 4 to 8 Gb?

Best Regards,

Anastasios

Vaijanath Sonvane
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @anastasiosz,

Yes, you are right. You don't need to reinstall IMPS applications. Follow below procedure:

1. Take back up of IMPS Servers

2. Gracefully shutdown IMPS Publisher and change vCPU and vRAM. 

3. Power on IMPS Publisher. Make sure all services are running.

4. Gracefully shutdown IMPS Subscriber and change vCPU and vRAM. 

5. Power on IMPS Subscriber. Make sure all services are running.

6. Make sure cluster and services are in good state.

7. Verify functionality.

You may have to follow other best practices needed for this activity.

Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution".
Thanks, Vaijanath S.

Ammar Saood
Spotlight
Spotlight

template means pre-loaded settings for your VM. If you do this manually then it's same as you used the template and application will still be TAC supported.

anastasiosz
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both , all cleared out no.