cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Delay in deleting messages in Unity 4.0.3

lhillu
Level 1
Level 1

Unity is integrated with ccm 3.3.3sr4a, exchange 2003.

Users report upwards of 15 seconds in deleting some messages. Not all users report this, and it is usually for messages of longer lengths (greater than 2 minutes long).

I found some unity documentation regarding solving this, and the 3 options noted there were take off the "Move deleted messages to the deleted items folder" (customer says this is not an option), try g729 for vm, and the last note mentioned reindexing of mailboxes, that for large mailboxes it may take longer when it has to reindex the messages.

Users typically retrieve their messages through the phone. When they delete messages through outlook, though, there is no delay.

Is G729 a good option to look at? What else might be causing these delays?

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

The time it takes is based on the time it takes for the MAPI copy to complete. Since this is a client side process things like throughput between the Unity and Exchange server could make a difference so you want to make sure you don't have any bottlenecks there. WAN links (which aren’t supported) could make this pretty bad.

The other thing is that MAPI is very serialized prior to Exchange 4.0(4). With 4.0(4) we have make a lot of optimizations in the product that really could help you out. We have a new process we use to filter the mailboxes that massively reduced/elimitates indexing times as well.

Using g.729 would make it a lot quicker too since the size of the message would be ~1/8th the size. GSM 6.10 is another codec option. Not quite as small but it is more portable across operating system like Mac OSX and Pocket PC.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Thanks for your quick response, Keith.

All machines are on a LAN, including the machines of the folks who report the issue.

I'll check out 4.0.4 and see if that is the route I want to take.

Are there any reduction in voice quality issues with g.729? The doc I referenced in the first post said "may" cause reduction in voice quality. How likely and how bad would that be?

Thanks,

Loren

It's strictly the traffic between the Unity and Exchange server(s) that we are dealing with here.

There is going to be a difference is sound quality. Really want you will want to do is test it out and see if it is something you can deal with. GSM 6.10 sounds pretty good and would cut the delay time it half so it might be a good middle ground.

Another bottleneck could be your exchange server. If the load is too high that could be what is causing the delay. Usually this shows up as poor disk allocation/configuration. Make sure you have separated the transaction logs (on a RAID 1 or RAID 10 volume) from the store databases (RAID 5 or RAID 10). Also make sure the buffers are set to 512 per this doc:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328466

If is we up to me I would probably upgrade to 4.0(4), switch to GSM 6.10, set the buffers correctly on all Exchange server and then monitor the situation.

I'm working on writing a functional spec for a feature to log this type of delay so that it is traceable but I doubt it will maybe 4.0(5). Most likely 4.0(6).

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

I have since noticed that when users log in via their phone to check voicemail, it takes up to a minute sometimes from the time they enter the password to the time that unity responds and lets them hear their messages.

Is this issue related to the delay in deleting items?

I am planning on changing the codec to GSM 6.10 soon, but am not sure if this login delay will be changed at all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!