cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I set up Unity mailbox to deliver messages to email mailbox?

ANDREA LOPEZ
Level 1
Level 1

Unity Newbie!  Where do I configure a voice mailbox to deliver messages to user's email mailbox?

4 Replies 4

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Newbie and welcome to the wonderful world of Unity voicemail. For us to answer this better, we need a lot more info. By it's very nature, Unity uses Exchange mailboxes for voicemail to even work so technically, the voicemails already to to "a" Exchange mailbox. I am assuming this is a voicemail only configuration where you have Exchange, Active Directory, and Unity on one box? If so, you are not licensed to send this to deliver messages outside the current box. If this is Unity Connection, there is a way via setting up Outlook to use IMAP. Could you please let us know a few things?

Is this Unity or Unity Connection?

What versions of Unity or Unity Connection are you using?

What type and version of email client are you trying to use?

If Unity, is this a voicemail only configuration?

What email mailboxes are you trying to deliver to? Are you trying to send copies of voicemails to other mail addresses or internal corporate mail addresses?

Are you just trying to get mailbox access using 3rd party email clients like Outlook or other IMAP capable software?

See where I am going here? Please clarify with more detail what is in use and what you are trying to do and we can help you better.

Thanks!

Tray

We are using Unity.  So if we have Exchange, AD and Unity all on one box, there is no further action on my part once I set up the voice mailbox?

Forgive my initial question...I am a former 3Com IP Messaging Admin and their system required that I manually point the voice mailbox to a defined email address, if I wanted messages to go to email.  From what I am understanding from your reply, sounds like Unity is automatic where users will get their voice mail message sent to their email inboxes...NICE!

Andrea,

The previous post simply alludes to the fact that Unity doesn't have a built-in mailstore - instead it relies on Exchange (or in some cases, Domino).  Unity can be set up in a Voicemail Only configuration or Unified Messaging configuration.  If you have Unity, AD, and Exchange installed all on one box then this is usually indicative of voicemail only.  In other words, your Unity server is also a domain controller and Exchange server in a standalone domain used just for itself.  When you create subscribers, an associated AD and Exchange account are created but within the domain associated with Unity (not the domain users log into so the users are only aware of the phone login credentials).  In Unified Messaging, your Unity would be a MEMBER of an existing AD domain and would integrate with a corporate Exchange server or cluster.  In this configuration, the account associated with a subscriber is the account they use everyday - in other words, their voicemail resides in their Exchange inbox that they connect to via Outlook.

My guess is that you have voicemail only configuration today but are looking to do 1 of 3 things:

1) Unified Messaging - voicemail is actually integrated with your corporate Exchange and all voicemails natively reside in the inbox

2) Mail Relay - voicemail messages are relayed from the existing Unity to an email address configured for a user

3) Integrated Messaging - user can configure an IMAP folder in their email client and have access to voicemail from within a separate mailbox in the client

Which sounds like your requirement?  If you have more questions, just ask.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Your information was very helpful.  Using what you told me, I discovered that this system is already set up as unified messaging and there is no further action I need to take for delivery to email.  Thanks so much for the education. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: