cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does this alarm mean ....... hwStringMatch - HP Insight Management Agents Trap Alarm: Logical Drive Status Change: Slot 1, Drive: 2 ......... Status is now Predictive Failure

NIGEL PAYNE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have received this trap from the Call Manager PUB server running version 7.1.5.31900-3

hwStringMatch - cmaidad[5579]: Physical Drive Status Change: Slot 1 Port 2l Box 1 Bay 1. Status is now Predictive Failure

I have checked the drive status via CLI and all drives show OK, both physical & logical

Is there anywhere you can check what is causing this event and is it merely advising of a potential drive failure

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Modern drives have embedded monitoring. Whilst the disk hasn't failed, something internally is telling the embedded monitoring that it may soon fail - it's running a little hot, having excessive write errors, latency is drifting up... something subtle is going wrong.

It could be caused by a firmware error... but I'd take it at face value.

It might have failed by the time you read this, or it might work fine for another 20 years.

Either way - when I was a server admin I would get any disk with a predictive failure swapped out immediately. No point waiting for it to fail - even on a RAID system when a disk fails although you don't lose data you have your trousers down as a coincidental second failure would ruin your day!

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: