cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6248 UCSM showing reversed PSU location for C220-M4L?

jclouser80
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone else run into this?

We recently had a PSU failure alert on a UCS-managed C220-M4L.  During the troubleshooting process I noticed what appeared to be the chassis graphic depicting PSU locations seems to be reversed from what is shown in the server install and service guides.  To be 100% sure I used a non-prod C220/FI w/ the same firmwares and watched UCSM while I physically removed the PSU's one at a time.

Results:

It looks like the UCSM data is correct: UCSM alerts that PSU1 is removed when the left PSU is pulled, and alerts that PSU2 is removed when the right PSU is pulled.  However, the PICTURE depicting the rear of the chassis and subsequent PSU locations is REVERSED from the server documentation.  I have attached screenshots below showing this.

I mentioned this and showed these same screenshots to the engineer that was assigned the case for the PSU RMA...his response:  "I have checked and found this is an expected behaviour that we see PSU on the other side on UCSM."  Huh?  Seriously?!

Best case, this causes temporary but unnecessary confusion for whomever is doing the PSU swap, and worst case is the wrong PSU is pulled from the chassis, causing an unexpected complete loss of power.

Firmware is 4.1(2a) for both FI's and servers.

c220_m4_psu1_removed_ucsm.jpgc220_m4_psu2_removed_ucsm.jpg

c220_m4_psu_location_service_guide.jpg

1 Reply 1

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have seen bugs for this issue:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs02317

Would have to double check in the lab (somewhat restricted currently) to verify but seems like this bug fix may have been undone.

If you have a TAC case then have the TAC engineer reproduce the issue on newer firmware and submit a bug if the PSUs are wrong.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card