cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

An Alternative to FCoE??

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone heard of the IO virtualization approach?

It accomplishes the exact same thing with regard to IO consolidation, ie the reduction of cables and the consolidation of NICs and HBAs into a single entity. But it does NOT unify the fabrics or get into any complex FCoE control and data plane requirements. No worries about single or  multihop FCoE, no complex FCF bridges to configure,

2 Replies 2

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have any reference articles, feel free to post.  We're always interested in alternative IO consolidation options.

Regards,

Robert

Hey, Robert:

I do, actually, but I was afraid of violating Cisco's NetPro Forum rules by specifying a particular vendor and their solution. But if its OK, the company I am thinking about is Xsigo. I'm only mentioning them because I would like to hear the opinions of those who know about their IO consolidation approach and who also know about FCoE and can discuss both of them.

I think it would be beneficial to have a discussion about the merits of their solution - or lack thereof - from a pure engineering perspective. No marketing, no company loyalty, etc. I do know you work for Cisco, so I will consider that, too.

It's a different approach to IO consolidation from FCoE. The Xsigo solution does not offer fabric unification. It offers IO consolidation, centralized management of IO, MR-IOV (or something along those lines) and a robust set of tools to manage and maintain a virtualized environment. It also makes provisioning and deploying of server IO resources much simpler -- or so it seems. I cant say for sure because I am still learning about it.

But in the end, the goal is not a converged fabric. However, since fabric unification - at this point in the technology's development - is limited to the server edge (ie, ToR), the two solutions are comparable, since the Xsigo approach also presents both Ethernet and FC ports at the ToR.

They have some white papers which can be found here:

http://www.xsigo.com/resource_center/resource_center/index.php

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card