cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B200 M5 ambient temp requirements // push the limits of 2nd gen intel procs

p.lan
Level 1
Level 1

The 2nd Gen Intel procs, namely, most of the 6000 series "R" SKUs have inlet temp requirements. 

The B200 M5 spec sheet says the 6248R proc is limited to 77F ambient temp if in slot 1-7. 

What happens when this is exceeded? It wouldn't be by much, but what if the ambient temp was 85F? 

I recognize that if the proc gets too hot itself, especially when running certain instruction sets, it can experience issues and throttling. Does it throttle or critical fault even if the ambient temp is 85F but the CPU itself is not too hot, 55C or so? 

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think the server will get an automated thermal shutdown for the ambient temp (unless that actual temp_sens_front hit like 75/85 Celsius) sensors, but I think the ambient temps are very strongly worded requirements because on average, even with the chassis fans maxing out, which will start to happen as you approach the upper-critical alert thresholds on the procs, you will have a hard time keeping the servers from going all the way up to UC and UNR at those types of ambient ranges, which can trigger thermal shutdown.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card