Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup of Storage Controller Virtual Machine

Hi, 

It would be useful to make a backup of all Storage Controllers Virtual Machines? if yes, could I just schedule a backup with a backup solution like Veeam? or that could impact the installation, in that case, there is a "best practice" to backup and recovery that VM or the configuration?

Thanks in advance,

Omar De Souza.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Storage Controller VMs don't need to be backed up as the data within any SCVM is also on the other SCVMs.

I would NOT add the SCVM to Veeam or any other backup process/schedule as the act of backing up (via snapshot) could disrupt the cluster.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Storage Controller VMs don't need to be backed up as the data within any SCVM is also on the other SCVMs.

I would NOT add the SCVM to Veeam or any other backup process/schedule as the act of backing up (via snapshot) could disrupt the cluster.

Hi Steve,

What about if you are doing an installation in all SCVM's at the same time and they go down for a corruption? for example, when you install the HTML5 plug-in, the script installs it in all SCVM at the same time, I know that is not a big software but what about if all SCVM go down because a problem? there is a way to have a backup configuration or recovery the SCVM machines?

Thanks,

Omar De Souza.

Hi @OmarDeSouza84463 ,

As @Steven Tardy says, the SCVM does not need to be backed up. If you look at the .vmdk file of the SCVMs you'll see that they don't change - this system was installed on 20 Feb

image.png

The SCVM uses the scratch disk for storing temporary information, and the system is built so that even if the scratch disk is lost, the SCVM can carry on.

Of course the most important data that the SCVM needs - the indexes and data maps for all the data is stored in the Log Structured File system along with its replicas.

And as for the case yo mentioned, installing the HTML5 Plugin - the plug in is actually intalled in vCenter - not the SCVMs, the SCVM is just used as a convenient work-horse to do the install.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Many thanks for the confirmation!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: