cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot Policy for 4TiB disk in C220M3 (UCSM)

Hello,

What is the proper way of configuring Boot Policy for C220M3 which has 4TB disks installed and is managed by UCSM 2.2? I try to configure Legacy and UEFI and I cannot install the OS in silent mode. The OS sees usupported device.

Best regards,

Krzysztof

5 Replies 5

Just to clarify more. The OS sees usupported device (ddf1 type disk volumes instead of /dev/sdb...). If I run installation manually, I can choose the LUN (Wizard) and installation is OK. Also, when the LUN (4TB) is labeled with GPT the RAID information disappears from the controller (!?). Another thing is that when server is booting the Ctrl-M is sometimes accessible, and sometimes not (not even shown on the boot screen). Any ideas?

What operating system are you trying to install?

We are trying to install RHEL 6. If I choose Local LUN and UEFI type in Boot Policy the installer can see all four 4TB disks and installs the system on one of the disks. At the end, when the system is rebooted it stops at LSI Shell. It doesn't matter if the installation is on raw disks or there is LUN created with LSI Web Utility. However, with LUN, device names are in ddf1 format, and installation has to be manual (attended). If I create for example LUN 100GB the installation and system startup are OK. The controller present in the racks is:

ucs# show server storage 11 detail

Server 11:

RAID Controller 1:

Type: SAS

Vendor: Intel Corp.

Model: Patsburg Dual 4-Port SATA SAS Storage Control Unit SKU ROM 1

Serial:

HW Revision:

PCI Addr: 09:00.0

Raid Support: RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10

OOB Interface Supported: No

Rebuild Rate: N/A

Controller Status: Unknown

The weird thing is that neither UCSM nor CLI can see the disks (they are not shown)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello Krzysztof,

Can you please share the exact version of UCSM, BIOS and CIMC of C220 M3 server ?

Have you enabled UEFI secure boot in UCSM ?

step 9

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/2-2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2/b_UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_2_2_chapter_011111.html#concept_8DDEC0F7A07F4B88A8E714B82838E7F3

If yes,can you please upgrade it UCSM 2.2.3 release and rack server firmware to 2.0.x release and verify the behavior ?

Thanks

Padma

Also, can you please share whether you are using in-stock kernel or updated kernel for RHEL 6.5 ?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/hw/C220/install/C220/raid.html#pgfId-1040919

RAID driver is supported only  with in-stock kernel version.

UCSM will not see the disks as it does not work with embedded RAID controller.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card