cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we connect EMC Clariion AX or CX storage directly to 6120XP fabric expansion module

gorantla.prasad
Level 1
Level 1

We have a situation where Cisco MDS has still not delivered to install as SAN OS switch, so as a temporary setup we want to connect Fabric Interconnect 6120 XP Expansion module(6 port Fiber speed upto 8 GB)directly to EMC SAN without SAN switch., We have UCS with version 1.3 firmware. I heard that we need to upgrade the firmware of UCS and then configure the Fabric interconect to switch mode etc. Does anyone have idea of how we need to do this?

4 Replies 4

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you heard is correct.  You'll need software version 1.4 or later for "Direct Attach Storage".  This requires the Interconnects to be configured in FC Switch mode.

There are some handy video's detailing how to set this up in the video section:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/data-center/unified-computing?view=video

For direct attach devices we only support EMC & NetApp devices at this time.

Full config references found here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/gui/config/guide/141/UCSM_GUI_Configuration_Guide_1_4_1_chapter4.html#concept_495162A236314097A8F78B339C697C60

Let us know if you have any difficulties.

Regards,

Robert

Hi,

Two cents from me - be wary there is no zoning on the 6120XP itself (it can only inherit zoning from another switch on the same fabric), so you have to use LUN masking on the storage array (unless you are happy with every blade seeing every LUN).

Regards,

Radek

HI Robert,

Thanks for the reply, i have a question FI comes with two images or file for 1.4 one as kickstart and the other one as system. While doing the upgrade

we need to do the upgrade of onlyl Fabric interconnects or we need to do Fabric extenders alonng with FI. Also do we need to do the secondary FI first and then primary right?

Please let me kinow if you have any correct procedre of upgrading?

Thanks

Prasad

The upgrade of a UCS system is  a critical procedure.  I strongly recommend reviewing the upgrade guides on CCO before attempting any upgrade.  The procedure is subject to change so please don't assume you can "wing it"

In regards to the IOMs, they must run the same version as the FI's.  As per the upgrade procedure when you get to the IOMs, you set the startup version only - to the new version, and when the FI is upgraded it will reboot and activate the new image.

Regards,

Robert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card