cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Characters getting entered while typing in CIMC console

alinbaby
Level 1
Level 1

I was reimaging the ISE node through CIMC (UCS C 220) console remotely. While typing "^[" characters were appearing before each key I was entering in the console. We tried to connect monitor and keyboard directly to the box and still we were experiencing the same issue. Any idea on this ? 

Thanks,

Alin

2 Replies 2

Priyanka L
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alin,

Thanks for your email.

Are you using Java or HTML?

If HTML, try out a different browser.
For java, maybe a different version.
==========================

There is an option in the KVM to enter User-defined macros, try entering your input there.

Alternatively, try using an on-screen keyboard, to rule out any issues on the system.

=======================

If all fails,

1. Check if you are able to SSH to the ISE application running on this node and login. (not from KVM). Does the login work as expected in the CLI?

[+] Next few step suggested aim and re-initiating the CIMC firmware as it does play a part in the KVM operations. Please try one step at a time and test KVM after every step.

1. Reboot CIMC

On the top left of the CIMC screen, there is an option to reboot CIMC. This does not cause any downtime and will only cause the management CIMC access to go down for few mins.

1. Disable and Enable KVM.
  1. Navigate to Compute > Remote Management > Virtual KVM
  2. Uncheck the enabled box > Save Changes
  3. Check the Box > Save changes.
  4. Launch HTML based KVM console.

1. Re-flash the CIMC firmware. This step will require downtime of 30 to 60 mins.

To re-flash any firmware we need to re-run the HUU .iso . Re-flashing means upgrading the to the same firmware.

The HUU can be fetched from https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286318809/type/283850974/release/4.0(1e)?catid=282558030

The iso will have to be mapped in on the KVM and will have to be booted into.

Upgrade guide : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/lomug/2-0-x/3_0/b_huu_3_0_1/b_huu_2_0_13_chapter_011.html

Hi Priyanka,

Thanks for the detailed note.

We are using Java for launching the KVM. The issue got fixed after i relaunched the KVM. But i was checking for the root cause of the issue whether it was occurring due to any bug.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card