Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Hyperflex HX220C-M4S server LAN ports not shown on UCS manager

Shahin901
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a hyperflex cluster of three nodes with 2 x FIs. The VIC ports from the servers are connected to the Fabric Interconnects.

I would like to use the two embedded (on the motherboard) Intel i350 GbE Ethernet ports but cannot see the hardware for these. 

Is it possible to use these ports along with the VIC card?

Thank you

Shahin

2 Replies 2

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @Shahin901 ,

Imagine someone saying to you, "I'd like to drive my lovely red Ferrari along this mountain logging trail, can you give me a hand if I get stuck?"

image.png

That's the feeling I got when I read this question.

Now, it's your Ferrari, and you can do what you like with it.

But why?

And why would you want to use the 1G Ethernet ports on the motherboard of your beautiful HX Hosts, rather than say map an extra VLAN to the existing vSwitch?

Technically, it may be able to be done, but let me tell you that you are going to wish you had made a better decision before that Ferrari  gets to the end of that track. And I have a feeling that you you follow your track of connecting the 1G ports, you'll feel like the guy in the expensive red can about half way through.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The onboard NICs are disabled when connected to UCS Fabric Interconnects.

Looks like this was removed from newer guides so had to go check the UCSM 2.2 guide but as far as I know still holds true.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c-series_integration/ucsm2-2/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM2-2/b_C-Series-Integration_UCSM2-2_chapter_01.html

The LOM ports are disabled when the C-Series Rack-Mount Servers are in Cisco UCS Manager mode.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card