Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS C240 M4

Hi,

I was attempting to upgrade the CIMC and BIOS firmware on my UCS C240 M4 server. When using the Cisco Host upgrade utility I selected the CIMC and BIOS and hit update. When the update was finished. I hit exit and my server immediately shut off. Now it just has a steady amber light on the power button and will not power up. Anyone know what may have happened or how to fix this. 

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

It is generally best to run the 'update all', as there are other components that can get upgraded, and are meant to match the raid controller (i.e. sas expander), PSU firmware, as well as the HUU does the correct order.

The CIMC generally should get upgraded and activated before the BIOS.

At this point I would make sure you have done a hard power cycle (remove power cables).

If the server will not power up, see if you can still reach the CIMC web interface.  If you can, you can manually upgrade the CIMC & BIOS using files extracted from the HUU.iso  In the BIOS setting in the CIMC, you would be able to 'clear bios cmos', and see if that resolves.

If you can't get into the CIMC, after power cord pulls, and still can't power on server, then you'll need to call TAC.

Thanks,

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, when I came in this morning it had power so I will go back and do an update all just to make sure everything is updated.

when you click on Exit, the server will re-boot the CIMC to activate the new firmware.  It will take some time, just leave it alone, or do a continue ping, to see the CIMC IP go down, then come up again, log back into the CIMC, you will see the new version of CIMC and BIOS display in CIMC. 

Just be patient.  it takes some some to do the activation.  In my experience, it takes about 10 minutes.

If the server did not comes back by itself, do a power drain by pull the power cord for 5 minutes, then re-connect the power cord ,  wait for 1 minute so, hold down the power button, it will boot the server up

Grace

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card