Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS CIMC monitoring, XML API vs snmp

ntsachalis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I 've read that it is always suggested to use CIMC for monitoring your Cisco rack-server, however you can use any SNMP tool to monitor the hardware components. Is there any difference between using XMP API and snmp? Should we use both to get maximum information or using XML API is the same with using snmp? We want to use a commercial NMS which can use both snmp and XMP API,

/

4 Replies 4

chhinchm
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

According to the Cisco UCS Monitoring Resource Handbook one difference between using XML API and SNMP monitoring is as follows.

"Both SNMP and Syslog are interfaces only used for monitoring as they are “read-only” in nature, not allowing an end user to change the configuration.  Alternatively, the UCS XML API is a monitoring that is “read-write” in nature, which does allow an end user to both monitor UCS, as well as change the configuration if needed."

When approaching these network monitoring solutions it is important to consider what functionality that you plan for the NMS to have. Will the NMS be used strictly for monitoring or will it also need the ability to make configuration changes?

For further reference consult the Cisco UCS Monitoring Resource Handbook.

Thank you for the answer. I might didn't make it clear what got me confused. If using snmp means that we will monitor for example 10 oids/ data sources, does using XML means that we will still monitor 10 data sources? Will they be the same data sources (for example fan modules?)

In Release 1.4 and later, the entire Cisco UCS Manager data model is exposed through the read-only Cisco UCS MIBs. All objects that can be retrieved through the Cisco UCS Manager XML API can also be retrieved through Cisco UCS Manager MIBs.

ntsachalis
Level 1
Level 1

a

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card