cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS M81KR as an FC Target?

garry.carpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if the UCS M81KR and be configured so that a virtual FC interface can run in Target Mode.

I am looking at the possability of creating a Storage Virtualisation Software Appliance from Blade Servers but I need FC Targets for the servers to offer storage out to other Blades...

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gary,

No, Cisco M81KR adapter cannot function as a target.

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gary,

No, Cisco M81KR adapter cannot function as a target.

HTH

Padma

Are there any plans to support Target mode on the M81KR  in the future?

Thanks

Hello Hugh,

It needs target mode driver and to my knowledge, it is not in the roadmap.

I would suggest you to contact your Cisco Sales representative for most current information and discuss your business requirements

Padma

Hello Padma,

We would write the Target Mode Driver for the M81KR. The question is does the M81KR currently have the capability to support Target Mode in the firmware and if so does a firmware  interface specification exist?

Thanks Again,

Hugh

Hugh,

I have to look for whether we publish the specification or not.

Is it possible for you to share your business requirements on why you want to operate M81KR in target mode ?

Padma

Padma,

We produce Storage Software that runs on WINTEL based Servers. In a nutshell our software

allows us to virtualize storage from a pool of backend disks. We have written Target mode Drivers for both QLogic and Emulex Fiber Channels HBAs.This allows the Server running our Storage Software to appear as a SCSI Target to SCSI Initiators.

More information at www.datacore.com.

Regards,

Hugh

Hugh,

Thanks for the information.

To my knowledge, I do not think firmware specification is published for M81KR adapter.

I would suggest you to contact Cisco sales team so that they can work with you on any NDA procedure and initiate appropriate process.

Padma

Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:19 AM

To: Hugh Humphreys

Subject: - Re: Cisco UCS M81KR as an FC Target?

Home<>

Re: Cisco UCS M81KR as an FC Target?

created by padramas<> in Unified Computing - View the full discussion<>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card