cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

communication between servers on different FIs

Muhammad Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Just want to verify communication between UCS servers on same chassis but having active vNICs on different FIs (Diagram attached). I suppose all commuication between server-A & server-B will happen through Layer 2 switch as server-A will generate an ARP request for Server-B, that will be passed over to FI-A and then to L2 switch down to FI-B, where server-B will respond back with it's MAC that will then be passed to Server-A via FI-B to L2 switch to FI-A.I don't expect any traffic between servers A & B be routed via firewall? Is there anything I need to be careful about in this design? Going forward we will have multiple subinterfaces on the firewall for different VLANs and all servers will use Firewall as default gateway.

2 Replies 2

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Muhammad,

Your understading is correct, as long as the traffic is in the same vlan the upstream layer-2 switch should be able to take care of it.

./Abhinav

Jeremy Waldrop
Level 4
Level 4

you may want to look at the throughput of your firewall for server-server traffic in different VLANs. If your L2 switch is 10G but your firewall is only 1G then you could have a potential bottle neck.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card