Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure networking script generated an exception: list index out of range

StGeneralov1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Have anybody faced the error during cluster deployment "Configure networking script generated an exception: list index out of range"?

ESXi doesn't create port group for a Storage VM. I looked through the ESXi log but don't see any error. 

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are talking about hyperflex.. you can see that error if your uplinks are not enabled.  With the uplinks not enabled or up, the vlans on veths that try  to pin to them are down,,, and the hx installer will throw that error.

Make sure all your uplinks to upstream network, are up before starting install..

Kirk...

Hi Kirk!

Thank you for your reply!

yes, it is HyperFlex. Esxi 6.7 U1, HX Installer version 3.5, UCS Firmware 4.0.

Uplinks are UP. Installer configured the management vmkernels and I can access the ESXi Web-UI, but I see the error for the VM Storage Port Group.

Do you have any vnics/VIFs down for any of your hosts?  In the equipment and server/SP view, there is a vifs tab, that should show if your vifs/veths have any pinning issues.  The faults tab should also show if any vifs/links are down as well.

We need to make sure you have no errors for any of the vnics.  VNICS 0-3 handle mgmt and storage traffic.  VNICS 6&7 typically are vmotion related, and VNICS 4&5 are usually guestVM traffic related, assuming additional vnic templates haven't been added.

This error is generally 99.99999% of the time about one of the vnics being down.

Kirk...

[newman]
Level 1
Level 1

Same here when trying to deploy HX Edge using 1G.

2019-04-24-10:35:43.239 [pool-2-thread-26] DEBUG c.s.s.stDeploy.StDeployImpl$-REMOVED_the_clustername_HX - Got line: {"1":{"str":"Deploying Storage Controller VM on ESXi Host"},"2":{"i32":3},"5":{"rec":{"1":{"i32":1},"4":{"str":" failed in Task: 'Configuring Network (Port Groups) for ESXi and Storage Controller VM' with Error: 'Configure networking script generated an exception: list index out of range'"}}}}
2019-04-24-10:35:43.239 [pool-2-thread-26] DEBUG c.s.s.stDeploy.StDeployImpl$-REMOVED_the_clustername_HX - json: Step(Deploying Storage Controller VM on ESXi Host,Failed,None,None,Some(StException(InternalError,None,None,Some( failed in Task: 'Configuring Network (Port Groups) for ESXi and Storage Controller VM' with Error: 'Configure networking script generated an exception: list index out of range'),None,None,Error,None)),None,None,None,None)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card