cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cisci FI with multiple SAN storage.

AbcKdc31268
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to Cisco FI. We have a cisco fi 6454 with cisco hyperflex system. The FI is also connected with Cisco MDS and end EMC unity storage. Multiple vHBA(vHBA-a via FI-A and vHBA-b via FI-B) are created on the FI's to connect the hx nodes to the end storage. All zoning are configured on MDS. Now we have a requirement of adding a new storage in the cluster via MDS to end hx nodes. Separate storage will be used. So, my question is on using the current vHBA; to connect it with the new storage or we should create and add a new vHBA to the hx nodes to fulfill my requirement? As per my understanding, if new vHBAs are to be used we will need to reboot the hxnodes. What will be the best practice/design consideration?

I will be very grateful for any recommendation.

Thank You.

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the new additional targets are going to be zoned with the existing vHBA initiator wwpns and same vsans, then the HX hosts vHBAs can just rescan storage in ESXi, and will see the additional LUNs.

If you want to isolate the SAN path between HX and new storage, then you could create new vHBAs, additional SAN uplinks between FIs and MDs, additional zones,  use different VSANs, which would require reboot of hosts to accommodate the additional vHBA(s) added to the service profile.

Kirk...

AbcKdc31268
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, a lot @Kirk J Kirk for the response. If we proceed with the same vHBA will there be any other downsides than traffic isolation?

With/without traffic isolation comes the link utilization question, as different storage streams are going to be sharing the same FI<>MDS uplinks.  If you have adequate FC  uplink bandwidth capacity (and especially if they are in san port-channel) then you should be fine.  You do want to confirm what your average and peak bandwidth currently is for the FC uplinks now, and consider how much you may be adding with the new storage targets.

Kirk... 

Thanks a lot @Kirk J., this really helps. Sorry to trouble you further, but we only had one MDS SAN switch currently. But with new storage, we have also procured a new SAN switch. Before both the FC uplin ks from FI-A and FI-B were terminated on the same SAN switch (MDS-A being the currently used SAN switch). Now with the addition of new SAN switch we will have to separate the path of the FC uplink of FI-A via MDS-A and FC uplink of FI-B via MDS-B (MDS-B being the new SAN switch). No port channels are configured. Now, to seperate the paths we will have to disconnect the cable i.e, FC-uplink from FI-B and connect it with the new SAN switch MDS-B and configure zoning. By doing so, will there be any complication. OR, can I proceed with new cable connectivity with FI-B to MDS-B and once zoning is configured disconnect the connection of FC-uplink of FI-B to MDS-A.

Thank You.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card