cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Graceful shutdown of fabric interconnect

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Customer must migrate a UCS domain to another location.

Is there a safe graceful shutdown of the fabric interconnects. I'm paranoid just unpluging the power as I've seen too many cases with file corruption, and therefore ending up in boot prompt.

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unfortunatly not the FI is considered a switch and one that is never really powered off , no power switch on back only plug and Cisco only gave commands for reboot not shutdown gracefully they probably should have though , they are solid devices though i did plug one out few months back in maintenance window shutdown and brought back up without an issue

connect local-mgmt

reboot

Thanks guys

Unfortunately no new information ! This reboot and then unplug at the proper moment is a very odd procedure.

amarino2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is a good resource to read over: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/68971/procedure-gracefully-shutdown-and-powerup-ucs-system

If you have console access before shutting down the Fabric Interconnects you can do a graceful reboot and right as you see the FI start to boot back up in the console, pull the power. This gives the OS a chance to shutdown properly as it thinks it is only rebooting and before anything has a chance to start back up pull the power for it. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card