cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Has anyone successfully 100% prepared a JSON file for Hyperflex Install (without Serial Numbers)?

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi,

Cisco has always championed how easy it is to install Hyperflex, and every demo I've seen (and some I've done myself) has used a .json file to load the values into the installer.

For me, I've always prepared my JSON files by doing the install manually and saving the JSON file, then at demo time I re-use the file.

But the file that you save seems to have a BIG PROBLEM in relation to re-use. SERIAL NUMBERS

Let's say I have a customer that has two clusters with very similar IP addressing and VLAN allocations.  If I do the first install, save the .json file and edit it to reflect the second installation, you would expect it to work.

But it doesn't work 100%. It fills about 50% of the fields - most annoying is the section where IP addresses are assigned to the ESXi hosts, both at the Hypervisor Settings and the IP address settings page - neither of which really require the Serial Numbers (even if they are displayed - they are not REQUIRED at this stage)

installerIPSettings.png

So - does anyone know HOW to create a JSON file that the installer will accept without having the serial numbers in the install file? (Leaving serial numbers blank doesn't work!)

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
4 Replies 4

cw823
Level 1
Level 1

We do this all the time, to the point I’ve never deployed a cluster without building the JSON first.  Have you figured out your issue?

Hi @cw823 ,

Sorry I missed your reply last week (I was on a break).

Wow. 2019 was a long time ago. And I haven't had so may HX installs this year, but as far as know, the problem is still there and just as annoying - how did you get around the problem of the installer not accepting the IP addresses without serial numbers?

For my last install, I avoided the issue by getting the customer to fill in the online pre-installer tool https://hyperflexsizer.cloudapps.cisco.com/an/hx-preinstaller/ INCLUDING the serial numbers!

I'll try again probably next week when I have to do a fresh install in our lab.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

KyoCode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi RedNectar,

have you tried using online pre-installer tool https://hyperflexsizer.cloudapps.cisco.com/an/hx-preinstaller/  ? 

this will allow you to create json without SNs and at least clone and repeat project.

AIV

Hi @KyoCode ,

Last time I tried to use the pre-installer app without serial numbers it did NOT save the IP addresses - so failed.  I'll try again probably next week when I have to do a fresh install in our lab.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card