cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HBA Options on C240

brittonv
Level 1
Level 1

ON physical servers, when I install an OS, I disconnect my HBA's form the SAN to prevent any potential issues on Clustered storage.  

Having recently ungraded to 3.1.3c I noticed a new option in my HBA Actions.  Where can I find documentation on these options, mostly "Disable"

Can I disable the HBA while installing the OS, then merely "Enable it" post install?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

The vHBA and vNIC option to disable has been around since UCSM 2.2(1a) release, and should be the equivalent of pulling a FC fibre out of hba or twinax out of cna, and plugging back in when re-enabling.

Very helpful for troubleshooting, or basic path testing to see how OS will handle path up/down scenarios.

If you have had to disable/re-enable upstream FC ports, disable/re-enable, as well as 'reset' is helpful to rebalance the dynamic distribution of vHBAs pinned to FI FC uplinks.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

The vHBA and vNIC option to disable has been around since UCSM 2.2(1a) release, and should be the equivalent of pulling a FC fibre out of hba or twinax out of cna, and plugging back in when re-enabling.

Very helpful for troubleshooting, or basic path testing to see how OS will handle path up/down scenarios.

If you have had to disable/re-enable upstream FC ports, disable/re-enable, as well as 'reset' is helpful to rebalance the dynamic distribution of vHBAs pinned to FI FC uplinks.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card