cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure the Local Hardisk of new Cisco Blade Server UCS B200 M4

blueangel5
Level 1
Level 1

Ive done hundred reasearch and still the hard disk doesnt work in my new cisco blade. How can i use my local storage to install my Vsphere Esxi.. when i press enter key there was some error regarding some python error or something like that ! 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

When you can use Local Disk config policy Not Specific Storage Policy .

Did you see same errors on the screen ??

1st , Create local Disk Config Policy 

Server Tab - > Local Disk Config Policy and , Create New Policy

2nd , Creating service Profile , you can choose Local Disk Config Policy Not Spesific Storage Profile nor Storage Profile Policy

View solution in original post

As has been noted on some of the other discussions on your B200M4 blades with the 4K sector drives installed, the 4K drives are not supported on the UCS Blades.

I am updating this thread so others reading this will note that the 4k drives are not supported on UCS blades at this time.

Thanks,

Kirk

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Niko Nikas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

How would you like the local disk configured?

On the server tab if you go to policies, there should be a 'local disk policy' that will allow you to configure the local storage on a B-series. (You will need to apply this policy to the service profile on the blade in question.)

Could you provide an image of the python error you are seeing as well?

I tried to install the Esxi 6 on UCS B200 M4 Blade Server and i got the error. I also include the profile configuration screen shots. What am i missing in this configuration ? Please help Thank you

it seems that the installer can not find your HDD to install.  Did you see the HDD and virtual drive while boot, in KVM console out put?

Yes i only see the Lsi on virtual adapter host but not handled by bios. On the boot screen..

I think your has a bad SAS LSI raid controller on your motherboard.  Since it is embedded, you will  need to replace the whole motherboard.

As has been noted on some of the other discussions on your B200M4 blades with the 4K sector drives installed, the 4K drives are not supported on the UCS Blades.

I am updating this thread so others reading this will note that the 4k drives are not supported on UCS blades at this time.

Thanks,

Kirk

But i have the windows 2012 r2 working through UEFI bootloader ? so i think if it is not supported it should not install the windows at first. 

now im looking for uefi bootloader for esxi installation.

There are many things that TAC sees customers do, that aren't on the support matrix.  Where you run into trouble is when you request help in the areas where you have deviated from the HCL or published guidelines, and will be asked to revert to a supported config/HCL.

Running in an unsupported config,,,, is not a good place to be.

VMware itself doesn't support booting from 4K sector drives.  Please see https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2091600 

Does current GA version of vSphere and VSAN support 4K Native drives?
No. 4K Native drives are not supported in current GA releases of vSphere and VSAN.

Versions this applies to:

• Product Version(s):
    VMware ESXi 4.0.x Embedded
    VMware ESXi 4.0.x Installable
    VMware ESXi 4.1.x Embedded
    VMware ESXi 4.1.x Installable
    VMware ESXi 5.0.x
    VMware ESXi 5.1.x
    VMware ESXi 5.5.x
    VMware ESXi 6.0.x
    VMware Virtual SAN 5.5.x
    VMware Virtual SAN 6.0.x

Thanks,

Kirk...

Sorry, just remember that for B200 M4 the HDD and SAS raid is on the optional board.  So, no need to change the whole motherboard, just the HDD board.

but this is brand new server blade.. it has 12 server blades and i tried in all of the blades its still the same i dont know what i am missing in the proflie configuration can you give me an example on how to make a profile for using local lsi hard disk ? please ? thanks

I saw your screenshot again .

Virtual Storage has already created .

I wonder , there is something wrong with boot policy .

Could you create Boot Policy as this follows ?

1, Create Boot Policy

2,Select [Add Local Disk] not select any other disk like a Local HDD nor Add SD   Card , only [ Add Local Disk]

3,Select [Add CD / DVD ] ; similarly ; select Local Disk

i created that with local disk but still when i boot up the server he could not find any virtual drive handled by bios..

and i checked the boot order details in the server details on actual boot order in local storage any there is nothing found and askin to verify device presence.

I saw your screenshot again .

Virtual Storage has already created .

I wonder , there is something wrong with boot policy .

Could you create Boot Policy as this follows ?

1, Create Boot Policy

2,Select [Add Local Disk] not select any other disk like a Local HDD nor Add SD   Card , only [ Add Local Disk]

3,Select [Add CD / DVD ] ; similarly ; select Local Disk

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card